Saturday, November 24, 2007

Flywheel

Flywheel Keith and I watched a movie together last night called Flywheel. It is produced by Sherwood Pictures, a production company created by Sherwood Baptist Church in Albany, Georgia.... of Facing Your Giants fame. Flywheel was the first movie produced by the church and it was more in line with what you might expect from a Christian movie. Here I go again...discussing old news. It was somewhat touching and heartwarming ....and I did find myself tearing up a time or two. ...but overall, I don't think it presented a true to life picture of what the Christian life usually entails.

The story was about the owner of a used car lot and his pregnant wife and young son. He was not an honest salesman...and he ripped many people off....even his pastor!! His wife was not happy with his business practices or his relationship with her or with their son. His son didn't care much for him and knew he was a "cheat." He was on the brink of losing his business. He was estranged from his father. Then one night, while watching a late night TV evangelist he "got right with God" and made "Jesus the Lord of his life." And by the end of the movie....all...ALL...his problems were straightened out. I know it was just a movie.....but I couldn't help but want to shout....hey...what about, "in this world you will have trouble," or "pick up your cross and follow me." It was just a bit hokey...and a bit pie in the sky....but overall, a pretty good "B" rate movie.

4 comments:

Sue said...

Sounds boring as batshit :)
Mwahahahaha.

Sorry, but my tolerance level for "everything works out alright in the end" B-grade Christian movies is about minus 7

Cindi said...

Hi Sue...finally getting around to responding a month after you left your comment. It really wasn't boring...and sometimes things really do work out, I suppose. I just thought it gave an unrealistic view of what happens when one becomes a Christian.

Cindi....

Sue said...

Hey, I had to come back and reread the post again hehe.

I am a cynical cow, aren't I!!! :)

I agree fulsomely that things work out - often. It's just the simplistic way that it's presented in agenda-driven movies that really irritates me. It takes away the creativity of God, and the fact that is no respecter of our need to have everything sorted RIGHT THIS GODDAMN MINUTE, being a God who does good work that lasts :)

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

My name is Monique & I'm part of the PR team for Sherwood Pictures--creators of FACING THE GIANTS.
Thank you so much for supporting the movie on your blog! We wanted to keep you informed of their latest project--FIREPROOF.
It's due to hit theaters this September in theaters nationwide. You can go to www.fireproofthemovie.com to view the trailer, read the synopsis, and sign up for updates to stay up to date with all of the FIREPROOF happenings! If you're interested in learning more or need any resource, pictures, and downloads for your blog please email me at monique@lovell-fairchild.com and I will be happy to get you what you need.

Again, thanks for blogging!
Monique
Lovell-Fairchild Communications