Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Hairdresser, the General Contractor and the Worried Mom......

I went to get a haircut last night at the same place I've been going since I moved to Williamsport. It is a really off the wall place called Elvira's. It is owned and run by a woman in her late forties....jet black dyed hair....very thin Italian woman....and very, very eccentric. The place is kind of haphazard...quite messy actually. They are none too particular about sweeping up the hair from the last customer....but, I've gone there since I moved here and I like her. Mary, her niece....a woman in her late thirties, works there too. They are the only two. They are friendly and warm and genuine. They know me by name and we've talked about all kinds of things while I've gotten my hair cut. They cut Matt's hair on a "regular" basis and on occasion they have cut and styled the girls hair. I forgot my glasses there last night and stopped today to pick them up. Beth's "MISSING" poster was on the front door. I gave it Mary last night....who was very concerned and teared up when I told her about Beth. That is the reaction I usually get from women who have children. Elvira wasn't there last night so when I went in today, I pointed to the poster and said, "She's mine"...and then a conversation ensued between me, and Elvira and a contractor who was in the shop and had just gotten his hair cut. He had a daughter who ran away to Philadelphia with a sleaze bag guy about 10 years ago....and we talked awhile. He told me about his daughter's story....and how he tried for months to find her, sneaking around houses, shining flashlights in windows. Finally, about 6 months after she went to Philly, she called him sobbing....asking him to please come and get her. His advice was not to wear ourselves out looking for Beth...but rather to pray for her. To pray for her protection and ask God to put a hedge of protection around her. Then he asked if he could pray for Beth. So the eccentric hairdresser, the worried mom and the general contractor joined hands and he prayed a heartfelt prayer for Beth. It was so very touching. It was very comforting. Just this impromptu moment standing with the hair from the previous few haircuts under our feet.

I don't know how prayer works....and I often wonder IF it works....but there are verses in scripture that assure us that it does. And Jesus prayed and taught us how to. Following is a quote from Preston Eby's Savior of the World series about prayer that seems to capture the gist of it.....

The prayers of the saints! Prayer is not a useless exercise, it is part of God's cosmic purpose. I don't pretend to understand it, but when Jesus was going away He said, "Up until now you have asked nothing in My name, from now on you will ask the Father in My name, and whatever you ask the Father I will do it." Ah, we have missed the importance of prayer in the redemptive and reconstructive and restorational purposes of God! Our prayers ARE important! Don't ask me to explain the mystery of the apparatus, but they are important. You'll find yourself praying, you'll find yourself desiring to pray, and that's the Holy Spirit urging you to do what is necessary to enable things to happen the way they are supposed to happen. There is a relationship between the decrees of God and the response of God's people! God created all things by a Word. God SAID, "Let there be ... and it was so." That's a CREATIVE WORD! Prayer is a participation in the creative Word of God, speaking the new creation into existence. It's a mystery I don't fully understand, but there are times when I have to pray, there are times when the altar of my soul is full of clouds of holy incense as I send up to God petitions, as I decree a Word, not for myself, but for others, and when I can't articulate them in English I send them up in an unknown tongue. And there is that deep inner consciousness that somehow I am participating in a great tableau and drama of history.

7 comments:

Sue said...

Hey Cindi, I love this visual of you three standing knee deep in cut hair. How awesome. It actually seems quite foreign to me because living in Australia, we are far more secular and that kind of thing would never happen.

I'm praying too, praying for her safety and provision.

JACK HENNESSEY and JOIAN SCHROFF said...

Beth has my prayers as do the rest of your family Cindy. I have had her name quickened to me for prayer once or twice a week for months now.I know the pain that comes when our teenagers act out.

God is able,

Jack

Anonymous said...

Praying for Beth's safe return, Cindy......my heavenly father has been merciful to me concerning these very areas......6 children 1 runaway and that was 26 years ago...many times I think I am closest now to the runaway.....who is 45 now.....lol

Her son who is now 21 had a 3 year crazy time.........During that time while we were praying and crying together, she said, Mom.....is this how you felt when I ran away? And I answered yes, honey.......then she burst into tears and said, Oh mom, I'm so sorry, how did you ever forgive me..........lol Well that was a time of restoration.......for sure....she was the oldest and I sure wanted to resign motherhood.....it pained me to think I had five more to go through and fail with......lol Anyway I took courage from the spirit and 25 years later the joys far outweigh the pain.......Take courage God has a plan.

Joian

Cindi said...

Sue said:
Hey Cindi, I love this visual of you three standing knee deep in cut hair. How awesome. It actually seems quite foreign to me because living in Australia, we are far more secular and that kind of thing would never happen.

I'm praying too, praying for her safety and provision.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't think I've ever witnessed anything like it either...which is why I found it so striking. It is very unusual here too. It was something that would likely happen at a church service or in a Sunday school class. It was very moving to me...and the prayer was prayed by a man who knew what I was going through. Thanks for your prayers Sue....

Cindi...

Cindi said...

Jack said:
Beth has my prayers as do the rest of your family Cindy. I have had her name quickened to me for prayer once or twice a week for months now.I know the pain that comes when our teenagers act out.

God is able,

Jack

~~~~~~~~~~~
Well, you read the excerpt from Preston Eby. If he says it...it has to be true, right :) God uses the prayers of his saints as a causitive effect.

CS Lewis expresses it this way:
Petitionary prayer is, nonetheless, both allowed and commanded to us: “Give us our daily bread.” And no doubt it raises a theoretical problem. Can we believe that God ever really modifies His action in response to the suggestions of men? For infinite wisdom does not need telling what is best, and infinite goodness needs no urging to do it. But neither does God need any of those things that are done by finite agents, whether living or inanimate.

He could, if He chose, repair our bodies miraculously without food; or give us food without the aid of farmers, bakers, and butchers; or knowledge without the aid of learned men; or convert the heathen without missionaries. Instead, He allows soils and weather and animals and the muscles, minds, and wills of men to co-operate in the execution of His will. “God,” said Pascal, “instituted prayer in order to lend to His creatures the dignity of causality.” But not only prayer; whenever we act at all He lends us that dignity. It is not really stranger, nor less strange, that my prayers should affect the course of events than that my other actions should do so. They have not advised or changed God's mind—that is, His over-all purpose. But that purpose will be realized in different ways according to the actions, including the prayers, of His creatures. So at least it seems to me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So, yes Jack...please continue to pray.

Cindi said...

Joian said:
Her son who is now 21 had a 3 year crazy time.........During that time while we were praying and crying together, she said, Mom.....is this how you felt when I ran away? And I answered yes, honey.......then she burst into tears and said, Oh mom, I'm so sorry, how did you ever forgive me..........lol Well that was a time of restoration.......for sure....she was the oldest and I sure wanted to resign motherhood.....it pained me to think I had five more to go through and fail with......lol Anyway I took courage from the spirit and 25 years later the joys far outweigh the pain.......Take courage God has a plan.

Cindi says:
Your comment touched me deeply. When the realization hit your daughter that she had caused you the same pain she was going through..and the reaction. Karma :) Reaping what we sow?? I ran away as a 16 year old. Once...was caught. I did not run away, run away and run away yet again. Since this post, she came home for her brother's graduation and slipped away again...was found again and now resides in the county shelter until we find something to do with her on a more permanent basis. Besides that, my home life was not the life Beth lives. Even though Beth cannot fathom that I know the feelings she is going through, I remember them all too well. She is depressed, clinical depression, but refuses medication...and I was depressed through most of my life so I can relate to that as well. She has no belief in God...and neither did I for most of my life...so I can relate to that too. Her boyfriend broke up with her a few weeks ago, and although she was troubled before that, it was the spark that plummeted her into much more serious misbehavior. Your story did bless me very much. Thank you for taking the time to post it.

Cindi....

MaryAnn Broussard said...

Cindi, I came across your blog months ago; not sure how. But I like to read your posts as I get a chance and see where your search for knowing God leads you day by day. I hadn't had a chance to get on to read for a couple of weeks or so and then yesterday read about your daughter missing. My heart went out for you. I am a parent of 3 teen children myself and know all too well the difficulties and joys of this season of parenting. Today I was impressed to write to you and let you know that you and your daughter are in my thoughts; the Lord brings both of you there. As he does, I am praying and sharing your heartache. May God grant you His supernatural peace in the midst of this time.

with love
Mary Ann