Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Do What You Can....

About a month ago, I happened onto Beliefnet's main page and found an announcement about a blogging contest being held throughout the month of July. After thinking about it for a day or two, I decided to join the fray. At this point, I think there are about 40 "contestants." Judging ends on the 31st. I've been "double posting" most days...here and there...trying not to use the same posts at both places...just because. At some point, I will probably post what I've written there...here on this blog.

I've read a few of the other blogs...but time...and distractions... have been an issue this month. There is another contestant who has posted several comments on my blog there which led me to his blog. I read a bit of his writings this morning. He goes by the name of Neomonist. One of his blog posts caught my eye....and I am using the quote he used there...here because I like it a lot and I think it carries a great message. Do what you can...or as he entitled the post, Helping Can Be Small.

The quote follows...and do go check out his blog on beliefnet. He has a lot of good stuff to say....

A Zen monk was seen by his disciple by the sea, where the tide had washed ashore hundreds of starfish. It was clear that they would soon die from exposure. The monk was tossing the starfish, one at a time, back into the sea, in a slow and meditative manner.

"Why are you bothering?" The disciple asked the monk. The young disciple looked at the large number of starfish that were succumbing. "It won't make any difference"

The monk stopped for a moment, and looked down at the starfish in his hand. "It will to this one," he replied, as he tossed it into the sea.

No comments: