Monday, September 7, 2009

Listening To God...

I don't know why I don't go to church more often.  Even though I oftentimes disagree with some of the stuff "preached and teached"...I almost always come away edified.  Yesterday the sermon was based on the following verses in John 7.

40On hearing his words, some of the people said, “Surely this man is the Prophet.”

41Others said, “He is the Christ.”

Still others asked, “How can the Christ come from Galilee? 42Does not the Scripture say that the Christ will come from David’s family and from Bethlehem, the town where David lived?” 43Thus the people were divided because of Jesus.

Gee...it occurs to me "the people" are still "divided because of Jesus."  So many different views about him...and I suspect we all, in varying degrees, miss the mark. 

But...I digress...since the main purpose for this post is to tell you about a video clip they showed in which members of the church talked about where they were from.  Somehow, even though it seemed to be a bit off topic, one of the little girl's Emily babysits for had a segment in which she told about the day she asked Jesus into her heart.  Following is a paraphrase of what she said...precious and priceless...from the mouths of babes. 

"The day I asked Jesus into my heart, I was with my cousin, Collin.  I looked at him and he had his eyes closed...but he wasn't sleeping! I asked him what he was doing and he said...."

Here comes the "out of the mouths of babes" part.

"and he said, I'm LISTENING TO GOD" 

Wow.  So many adults do not get that.  We think prayer is the means by which we tell God what we would like him to do.  And, I think, that is a part of prayer...pouring our heart out to him...dumping our requests at the throne of Grace...letting him help us sort it all out.  Perhaps that begins the process he uses to conform our will to his will.  But isn't a big part of prayer..perhaps the BIGGEST part of prayer...LISTENING to God?"

BE STILL and know that I am God. 

Collin already has that part figured out....

No comments: