Wednesday, April 30, 2008

It All Begins In The Garden 2

I've been reading Eckhart Tolle's "A New Earth" for the past few weeks. I'm only on Chapter 3, just ready to begin Chapter 4. It is slow going because on almost every page, I mark, asterick, underline, comment in the margins. It is amazing how this is hitting home. I have been reading the message boards at Oprah's site, watching the podcasts and pondering the questions on the personal workbook provided for members. Since I am a Christian, I substitute carnal/adamic man for "ego" and the christ within for the rather new agey terms he uses to describe the same thing. The Source, Being, Universe is....to me...God. I do not accept everything he says in his book...but a lot of it is profound!!!

He thinks that when we ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil we became separated from God and our egoic mind was formed. We were no longer eating from the tree of life...and we were alienated from God (as Colossians 1:21 says) in our minds. Sounds like "the Fall" to me.....

3 comments:

Sue said...

I read The Power of Now by Tolle and really got a heap out of it. A few people are reading this latest one and I think I shall have to follow suit also.

Like you, I disagree with a lot of what he said, and yet he often tunes into the heart of things, doesn't he.

Cindi said...

Sue, have you read A New Earth yet? I am rereading it...slowly..because there is a lot to think about and, as always, there are the time factors.

Cindi....

Sue said...

No, I haven't read it yet but I really think it would be a timely time to read something like that :) You know, the world reeling to and fro and everything collapsing - focus on the Papa part :)