Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Ruffled Feathers….

While cruising hither tither around the internet one morning....checking out productivity blogs....I came upon several very interesting snippets here and there.  A couple from this guy....Craig Harper topped the list. 

In an article about why we have become such an overweight world he devoted several paragraphs to what he referred to as the feather ruffling answer. (he is writing in Australia...ranked #21 on the list of fattest nations.  But FYI...the US is #9) His opinion…we make the wrong dietary choices, of our own accord…sometimes spur of the moment…sometimes in less than ideal circumstances…but as the old adage goes.  Nobody puts a gun to our head and makes us eat.

While his article is mainly about diet and healthy eating, it occurred to me that some of the wisdom carries over into other areas of our lives.  Anytime we ask a question or venture to offer our opinion about something we risk ruffled feathers….other folks…or even our own.

The thought that I am probably ruffling a few feathers crosses my thoughts every time I broach some of the more controversial topics I write about here on this blog….which is….often.  Inerrancy, homosexuality, free will/sovereignty, Islam…..and the list goes on. 

And truthfully, I find my feathers ruffling a bit in my journeys around the internet and in my day to day life. 

Picture from The Telegraph…Reuters

We all have opinions.  I’m pretty sure every one has heard the off color catchphrase….comparing opinions to….well, you know.  Something else we all have.  So I am going to close this post with some wise words from one of the founding fathers of this country….Benjamin Franklin. 

“For having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged, by better information or fuller consideration, to change opinions, even on important subjects, which I once thought right but found to be otherwise.” Ben Franklin

2 comments:

Mae said...

Ain't it the truth! On my journey, I've learned to hold my opinions loosely, especially since they're pretty much opposite of what they used to be!

kc bob said...

Jesus Christ: Major Feather Ruffler