Thursday, November 1, 2007

The Age Old Question

I took notice of these two, apparently opposite, points of view as I was reading some of the articles online about Yancey and his book about prayer. In the blog I mentioned a few days ago, he highlighted the following post and stated his concerns about Yancey's belief in open theism. Being a calvinist, it did not sit well with him at all.

Quote by Yancey

“A hundred times a second lightning strikes somewhere on earth, and I for one do not believe that God personally programs each course.”

Then, as I was listening to a song by Chris Tomlin, the following words jumped out at me....

Who has told every lightning bolt where it should go

Or seen heavenly storehouses laden with snow

Who imagined the sun and gives source to its light

Yet conceals it to bring us the coolness of night

None can fathom.

I have no idea what Chris Tomlin's theology is concerning free will/determinism. He may have been using poetic license to make a point in his song "Indescribable" yet, it struck me (and especially me since it has been such a point of contention between Keith and I) that it was a great example of this opposing belief.

Oh...and another quote from the book that deals with the open theism/total determinism/free will debate.....

“I know a missionary whose wife and seven-month-old daughter were killed by a single bullet when the air force in a South American country mistook their plane for that of a drug runner and opened fire. ‘God guided the bullet,’ the surviving husband and father said to the press. We have held long discussions about that quote, because I do not believe the ‘Father of compassion’ guides bullets into the bodies of babies. Jesus himself refuted those who blamed human tragedies on God.”

Any comments? Does God tell every lightening bolt where it should go? Does he guide bullets into the bodies of babies?

5 comments:

Sue said...

Hey Cindi dude

I love this quote from The Shack (with apologies if you are one of the people sick to the back teeth of hearing about that book):

[God speaking] “Mack, just because I work incredible good out of unspeakable tragedies doesn’t mean I orchestrate the tragedies. Don’t ever assume that my using something means I caused it or that I need it to accomplish my purposes. That will only lead you to false notions about me. Grace doesn’t depend on suffering to exist, but where there is suffering you will find grace in many facets and colors.”

JACK HENNESSEY and JOIAN SCHROFF said...

Cindi, I just want to thank your for the enjoyment I had the other night reading on your blog.

Jack

Cindi said...

Sue...
I am not sick of hearing about The Shack...in fact I have to get it. I looked online this morning and it is available at both Amazon and Barnes and Nobles...with free shipping if I spend $25 on books. Dena posted a quote from The Shack on Emerging Universalist that I really liked too.

when Mack asks, "Does that
mean that all roads lead to God?" "No, most roads don't lead
anywhere. But I will go down any road to get to you."

Cindi said...

Jack...
And I want to thank YOU for your kind words and letting me know that something I said blessed you in some way. Thank you!!

Cindi....

Sue said...

Cindi

Have you got a copy yet? If not, let me know and I will post you one.