Sunday, December 2, 2007

More About the Levite and the Concubine

Few stories in the OT provide a more shocking example of man's man's inhumanity to man than the story of the Levite and his concubine. rape_of_concubineI mentioned it briefly in a post last week about sacrifice ...and then again when I posted a link to a modern day (eery) retelling of the story. I also came upon an interesting blog post on a blog called Dr. Claude Mariottini - Professor of Old Testament. The name of the post is Rereading Judges 19:2 .....and keeping with what seems to be a tradition, it is from February 2006....yep, still caught in yesteryear. His blog is fairly conservative, but interesting, and some of the more up to date entries talk about "The Savage God" of the OT. He takes a pretty traditional stance on this, attributing God's acts in the OT to his divine justice which is something one would expect for a professor at Northern Baptist University.

About the concubine, he questions the KJV's translation that declares she had "played the whore" and had been unfaithful to her husband. But Josephus wrote: “They quarreled one with another perpetually; and at last the woman was so disgusted at these quarrels, that she left her husband and went [back] to her parents.”

The word zanah, which is translated played the whore, can also mean “to be angry, hateful” or to “feel repugnant against.” A few versions get it right...but for the most part the poor concubine is not only raped, murdered and cut into pieces, but the text is mistranslated and we are led to believe she was unfaithful to her husband. With the stellar display of valor and integrity he showed by pushing her out the door for the angry men to have their way with, one gets a glimmer of why she might have been disgusted enough with him to leave him.

It seems that the author of the blog post wants to see her vindicated since she truly got such a bum deal.


concubine 3concubine 2

4 comments:

Dr. Claude Mariottini said...

Cindi,

Thank you for commenting on my post on the Levite and his concubine. You are right; the aim of my blog was to vindicate the woman. After all, she did not play the whore; she just had a husband who was not very loving to his wife.

Claude Mariottini

Cindi said...

Thank you for taking the time to comment here on my blog. Sometimes it seems like I am mainly writing to myself (Except for you Sue...my faithful readership :))Your post came up on google when another article I read piqued my interest about the concubine...and it was also being discussed on a message board where I post. Thanks for stopping by. God bless you....

Cindi....

isabelle said...

I have asked and searched and been so bothered by Judges chapter 19. Thanks for the explanation.

Cindi said...

Hi, Isabelle. I am so glad you stopped by and took the time to comment. It does my heart good when something I have thought about or read or happened upon in my cyber journeys helps someone reconcile some sticking point in their relationship with God. He is light and in him there is no darkness. If it appears to be darkness...well, we are not seeing it correctly or we do not understand.

Cindi....