Sunday, June 22, 2008

I Wish I Had Wings Like a Dove....

The words of Psalm 55 came to me distinctly yesterday. Life is overwhelming of late and I just want to run away. I can remember another time in my life when the words from Psalm 55 became especially relevant to me. A long time ago...in another situation I thought was intolerable.

6 I said, "I wish I had wings like a dove.
Then I would fly away and rest.
7 I would wander far away
and stay in the desert. Selah
8 I would hurry to my place of escape,
far away from the wind and storm."

I know I could tie this in somehow with Eckhart's teachings. We DO have "the wings like a dove" (christ in you /hope of glory/the mind of Christ) and if we realize that and learn to live in that reality we can find rest without "wandering far away." Keith pointed that out to me yesterday in a moment of goodwill and camaraderie. I'm trying to dwell "in the secret place of the most high"...but a vacation to Timbuktu seems like such a good idea right now. "I'm outa' here" could become my new mantra.

My friend annie likens this kind of reaction when in the midst of trouble to the thoughts a caterpillar might have while struggling to free himself from his cocoon...."this should not be happening to me," he cries" Never realizing that butterflyhood awaits just beyond the cocoon and the struggles he is enduring. At this point, staying a caterpillar does not seem like such a bad idea.

But alas, it is happening and I have heard fairly mainstream kingdom teachers say that we actually chose the situation of our life when we pre-existed with God. I read a post on The Father's Love forum yesterday in a thread called "Is This How it was SUPPOSED To Turn Out" that I thought expressed this thought very well.

sparrow said:

This is my view...
I think that it's supposed to be this way.
We came from a place (our real home) where love ruled supreme.
We are here in this place where love can be concealed from view...buried.. hidden.. (yet also uncovered and discovered...)
We're here because we are all the prodigal son...
We decided to leave our home.... we finally made our way to that tree and decided to eat the fruit.
and so we were born here on earth with the clock ticking down our stay, because we wanted to know something, we wanted to see something, we wanted to learn something. It's a very difficult lesson... but we will be all the better for having learned it.
The lesson is the same, but experienced in literally countless different ways.... because we are all unique.
And when we go back home...
We will understand what home really is...
and who God is... (love).

A difficult lesson indeed and truthfully, I would like to flip all these problems the finger and gleefully shout my new mantra (I'm outa' here) as I head for the door.

Eckhart says to act as if you chose the present moment you are in....

Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it. Always work with it, not against it. Make it your friend and ally, not your enemy.

I can't quite wrap my head around that...and in other parts of his writings he stresses that this does not mean that you wish it to remain the way it is...but rather in surrender to it, you become empowered to change it. Not an easy concept for this caterpillar to swallow.

2 comments:

Sue said...

What a fantastic post.

I am trying lately to do what Eckhart teaches. Been lying there (this is generally in bed before I go to sleep), thanking God for whatever, because I feel like in some way I chose it, and definitely that God has allowed it. Sometimes it works, and the peace floods in. There is a great ledge to sit on there, above the waves.

But a lot of the time I don't make it up to the ledge and sit scratching the inside of my cocoon instead and bemoaning and wailing and generally being a pain in the ass.

But days of small beginnings and all that stuff, right?

Hey, was it you who recommended James Alison here? I've been listening to his podcasts today - jolly good stuff.

http://www.trinitywallstreet.org/education/?institute-victim-podcasts

Cindi said...

I may have recommended James Alison...I know who he is and have read some of his stuff. Glad you are enjoying it....


Cindi....