Saturday, December 12, 2009

None But Jesus....

While bouncing around on a few different blogs tonight, I came upon the following remark on the Decompressing Faith Blog. It is a response to a meme about religion.  First question...what is your home religion? Questions two and three...name two other religions that interest you.  It was the answer to the first question that caught my eye. 

 1. Jesusism. I don't like to call it Christianity, because it's 98% not traditional Christianity (i.e. what percentage of the bible consists of words Jesus actually said?).But what I can say is that no matter how I have stretched my boundaries, Jesus has a grip on me that I can't shake. I have tried to walk away, but have had no peace until I have returned to him. I have no real explanation, except to say that is where I fall and I'm happy with it.

Indeed.  Even though I "window shop" other belief systems...and find bits and pieces here and there that enhance my faith...practical things that open up the scriptures to me, yet.....Jesus has a grip on me that I can't shake. Reminds me a bit of what Beatrix said a few weeks ago on a Thomas Merton list where I am a member. 

Still our god-imagery is rich in its  diversity all around
the world. Perhaps there are many "faces" of God,  as
some wise folk have suggested. I have followed the
Continuum of  these faces come down through the
ages, but Jesus is ours!

I do think there are "many faces of God" down through the ages...and...I don't quite know how to reconcile these many faces with the Bible's clear teaching that Jesus is the name above all names.  I don't discount the path to God others follow....around the world and down through the ages....but for me...there is "none but Jesus."  At church, we often sing a song by Hillsong...."None But Jesus." Video and lyrics follow...

 

In the quiet
In the stillness
I know that You are God
In the secret of Your presence
I know there I am restored
When You call i won't refuse
Each new day again I'll choose

There is no one else for me
None but Jesus
Crucified to set me free
Now I live to bring Him praise

In the chaos in confusion
I know You're sovereign still
In the moment of my weakness
You give me grace to do Your will
When You call I won't delay
This my song through all my days

All my delight is in You Lord
All of my hope
All of my strength
All my delight is in You Lord
Forever more

No comments: