Tuesday, May 11, 2010

And speaking of dwelling in the now....

My last post made me think about a poem I came upon quite a while ago...but it's stuck with me through the years.  It fits with the dwelling in the now stuff...and Preston Eby's comments about the "I Am"...

My Name is "I AM"

I was regretting the past
And fearing the future.
Suddenly my Lord was speaking:
“My name is I Am.” He paused.
I waited. He continued,
When you live in the past
With its mistakes and regrets,
It is hard. I am not there,
My name is not I WAS”.
When you live in the future
With its problems and fears,
It is hard. I am not there.
My name is not I WILL BE.
When you live in this moment,
It is not hard. I am here.
My name is I AM.

And too...as I've admitted here before...several times...I like Southern Gospel music. There is a southern gospel song...written by Ira Stanphill entitled I Know Who Holds Tomorrow.  The following You Tube video features Allison Kraus singing the song with a decidedly different kind of country twang/style. 

I don’t know about tomorrow;
I just live from day to day.
I don’t borrow from its sunshine
For its skies may turn to grey.
I don’t worry o’er the future,
For I know what Jesus said.
And today I’ll walk beside Him,
For He knows what is ahead.

Many things about tomorrow
I don’t seem to understand
But I know who holds tomorrow
And I know who holds my hand.

 

No comments: