Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Her Father's Eyes....

"There is a road from the eye to the heart that does not go through the intellect." -Gilbert Keith Chesterton

I noticed the above quote in a signature line on the Now2 yahoo email list this morning. The post was in response to a discussion about the ego vs. the "real you." Interesting discussion about how we are sleeping or hypnotized and are too groggy to realize who we really are.  I tend to Christianize a lot of what I come across...finding its equivalent in the Bible---or Christian music--or some other medium one might find at a Christian bookstore.   

About the groggy part...it reminds me that in Genesis it talks about God putting Adam into a deep sleep...and guess what?  It never says anywhere in scripture that he woke up. And we, as members of the Adamic race, are still wondering around in a dreamlike state (and the dream is often perceived as a nightmare)  

And the quote...that the road to the heart does not go through the intellect. It reminds me of an old Amy Grant song that I am very fond of..Father's Eyes.  If we look at things through our Father's Eyes, they do not pass through the intellect and they slip right by our thinker.  Lyrics follow....

I may not be every mother's dream for her little girl.
And my face may not grace the mind of everyone in the world.
But that's all right as long as I can have one wish I pray.
When people look inside my life, I want to hear them say.

She's got her Father's eyes, her Father's eyes
Eyes that find the good in things, When good is not around.
Eyes that find the source of help, When help just can't be found.
Eyes full of compassion, seeing every pain.
Knowin' what you're going through, and feeling it the same.
Just like my Father's eyes, my Father's eyes, my Father's eyes
Just like my Father's eyes.

No comments: