Saturday, June 30, 2007

United Methodist Church and Universalism

I go to a United Methodist Church on a fairly regular basis. Although they seem pretty traditional in their view of hell, the following is from their official website. Seems they consider it a "gray" area and that there are persuasive arguments on both sides of the issue. Hmmmm. At least that is not a "no way Jose" like some churches.

Beliefs and Social Issues
Question: Does The United Methodist Church believe in universal salvation
Answer: The Book of Discipline of The United Methodist Church includes a section titled Doctrinal Standards and Our Theological Task, which records the official theology of The United Methodist Church.

The section on Distinctive Wesleyan Emphases includes a description of prevenient, justifying, and sanctifying grace. When a Christian, by the grace of God, accepts God's "pardoning love," he or she enters into a transformational process whereby there is every assurance of salvation.
The Articles of Religion of The Methodist Church make the same point. Article XX - Of the One Oblation of Christ, Finished Upon the Cross affirms the salvific act of crucifixion and resurrection of Christ for salvation for all persons. The added Article "Of Sanctification" states that position in other words. The Confession of Faith of the Evangelical United Brethren Church echoes the beliefs stated in the doctrinal statements of The Methodist Church (see particularly Articles VIII, IX, XI, and XII).

While these statements of doctrine state that salvation is AVAILABLE to all persons, they stop short of saying that salvation is GUARANTEED to all persons. There is the stated or implied condition that, while God's grace is necessary for salvation and that humankind cannot in any way attain salvation without God, that there is certainly an element of awareness and cooperation on our part to order our lives after the image of Christ if we have the capacity to do so.

There are persuasive arguments that include the faithful, thoughtful, and respectful use of Scripture on both sides-- affirming and denying universal salvation. The Book of Discipline, which is the only official printed voice of the UMC, does not make a statement specifically about universal salvation. This places the question in a possible gray area, but the Discipline says what it says. One must read the doctrine there and attempt to understand it as well as possible.
Rev. Dr. Diana HynsonDirector of Learning and Teaching Ministries in the CongregationGeneral Board of Discipleship

3 comments:

Michael Entner said...

You'll find that the UMC is a denomination well suited to those of us who think in the gray areas. This is why you see a wide-ranging set of beliefs among the congregation. However, we still come together at Christ's table as one body -- just awesome! I've written a number blog entries on the topic. Check it out if you have a chance :-)

Michael Entner said...

P.S. -- I do believe in Universal Salvation. It probably puts me in the minority, but I'm happy there!

Cindi said...

Hi, Michael...
I did go to your blog and read a few of the posts..and I read several of the ones on the UMC. I'm going to add you to my bloglines list. Nice blog. There are several UMCs where I live. The one I am involved with is a rather large church for this town (about 500 members) and has a lot of programs to serve the community. My daughter, Emily, led me there. We had been out of church for a while. We moved to this town while in the midst of a divorce...and no church fit our particular list of needs at that time. So I was out of church for several years. Emily was invited to the youth group and loved it. It is a dynamic youth group. The leaders are simply great. Em is very involved in the youth group, the church, and is a member there. Her whole social life revolves around the church. She is 14. My other two kids are not involved. My husband is not involved either, although he is a Christian. I go about every other Sunday...to the praise and worship service. Methodists are not charismatic, but the "holy spirit shows up." It is mainly time constraints that prevent me from going every week and getting more involved in the many small groups and outreach programs that are available. I do a lot on the computer..as a member of several online communities, including one my friend annie and I "founded" called..."Emerging Universalist" Do you do anything like that? Anyway..thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I liked your Taco Bell story :)

Cindi.....