Sunday, August 17, 2008

College, Already???

How the hell could it be time for Matt to go to college!!!???  It doesn't seem that long ago I took him to his first day at Mother's Day Out...and sat in the coat room the whole time because he was nervous and I promised I would stay.  He ran out to me several times, to tell me what a good time he was having.  I didn't have to stay the next day....

I remember when we moved to Nashville...the year he started kindergarten.  We moved from Cleveland where school started after Labor Day.  School had already been in session in Nashville since about the tenth of August.  All the other kindergartners were accustomed to school.  Matt wasn't.  In spite of a really great teacher, Matt had some problems adjusting.  He would come into my bedroom early...4 am early....

Matt: I'm scared. 

Mom:  What are you scared of, Matt?

Matt:  I'm scared of the cafeteria.  (he drew the word cafeteria out ....long and mournful)

Mom:  Why are you scared of the cafeteria?

Matt:  I don't know......(tears followed)

To this day he can't tell me why he was afraid of the cafeteria.  He is now 6'3' and weighs 260ish.  He got over being afraid.  I remember when his voice changed....which tickled me to no end.  I remember when he was as tall as my shoulder...and now, my head is about as tall as his shoulder.

I think he will do fine at college.  He has been self sufficient for the longest time....spending weekends alone at his dad's house without ever any trouble serious enough to require a parent or the police.  He's never gotten a ticket...never wrecked his car other than the time he slid off the road into a snow drift....and sustained minor damage.  (although three times someone has wrecked into it....while it was parked) 

He has been a great kid.  An easy kid to raise.  There was a glitch with grades in his junior year....a glitch he learned a valuable lesson from.  Other than that glitch...and a few other minor things like stealing a toy gun from his grandmother's toy box...and breaking one of the wise men in my Precious Moment Nativity scene while winging a ball around the living room, the kid has given me no problems.  And I love him deeply.  I am not a clingy mom....and sometimes several days go by when he is at his dad's and I don't see him or talk to him.  But he is here...in Williamsport....just a few miles away....and I will miss that proximity.  I am excited for him as he takes the next step toward being all grown up....but I sure do miss that little boy with the crew cut.  I love you, Matt....

2 comments:

Sue said...

Oh, boy, this brought a lump to my chest. Beautiful :)

Cindi said...

He is home this weekend for a visit. He is doing well. It was so good to see him come in last night (with 3 loads of laundry to do):)

They grow so fast!!! My boss brought her two young boys down to my office the other day so I could see them. One is about 3, the other nearing 2. The older boy was telling me about Thomas the Tank Engine. Bittersweet. Matt loved Thomas the Tank Engine. Later, I wrote her an email, reminding her again (as I often remind the mothers I work with who have young children) to enjoy them while they are young because it is an amazingly short period of time between Thomas the Tank Engine and off to college.