Sunday, August 31, 2008

In the Queue....

For the past week, "Write blog posts" has been on my day to day to do list.  Obviously, since my last post was August 17th, I did not cross that item off my list.  There have been a few "aha" moments and things that have piqued my curiosity that I thought might make a good blog post but I just have not gotten around to it.  I use Windows Live Writer to compose most of my posts.  It is a very good program and compatible with most of the blogging sites on the internet.  It makes it easy to keep track of previous posts and drafts...and I find it very helpful. 

But anyway, there are about a dozen posts in the drafts section.  In the "queue."  I am going to try to finish some of them and actually post them.  I am putting it on my to do list today!!!!  And so a disclaimer.  The subjects are varied and reflect interest piques from as far back as 12/1/07.  So this is not a series...for sure.  It will be random subjects reflecting the progression of my spiritual direction since the beginning of the year.  I've gotten a lot more "airy fairy" since then. Perhaps looking more at the big picture than the "don't sweat the small stuff" details. 

For instance, my studies of Girard, mimesis and mimetic rivalry were specific...but I see now that mimesis and mimetic rivalry are part of a bigger picture.  They are manifestations of the egoic mind...the carnal mind, the old man, the adamic man...however you want to refer to him/it.  A specific symptom of a larger disorder.  Not the disease itself.   I knew, even while studying Girard, that it was not the whole picture.  Actually, I wrote a post about it called Not The Whole Puzzle last May.  Keith pointed that out at the time, and I did not disagree with the opinion that Girard was just a piece of the puzzle.  If I recall correctly, he voiced the concern that Girard's work was not "spiritual"....and he's right, Girard picks apart a very widespread manifestation of the ego and shows us where it leads.  To envy, lust, jealousy, dishonesty, ill will, "me, me, it's all about me"...and finally to violence.  The Bible is the only sacred writing that progressively reveals mimesis, scapegoating and our need to sacrifice and clearly shows, in the crucifixion of Jesus, that it is NOT okay with God. 

I think it is particularly interesting that scapegoating does not work if the participants see it for what it is.  Tolle and teachers like him point out that the awareness of the ego....observing its little tricks and schemes...sound the death knell for it.  But I digress. 

I'm writing it on the To Do List today....we'll see if I get to cross it off or not....

No comments: