Sunday, October 26, 2008

A Great Irony...

In yesterday's post about Fr. Robert Rohr's thoughts on Eckhart, I closed with the following quote ...

    I am willing to hear truth today wherever it comes from, as long as it does not compromise the Gospel.

    Me, too.....

    Even from Preston Eby.  Let me explain.

I have been ticked off at Preston Eby for ten years.  Even in spite of the fact that his Savior of the World series made a huge impact on me in the early days of coming into UR. I just could not choke down his teachings on suffering and processing during the period of time I was (in varying degrees and levels of intensity) estranged from God.  I hated his emphasis on suffering. Expect to suffer, don't be surprised when you suffer, you WILL suffer.  And his teachings on sovereignty made it even worse. There was no way you could cut the suffering short.  Not with a cheerful attitude, not by being a good student and learning the lessons quickly that the suffering was designed to teach.  Nope...nothing could get you out of the slow, meticulous killing off of the flesh.  

He has always been one of Keith's favorite authors. We have several shelves of a bookcase filled with Eby's teachings.  One thing for sure about Preston Eby; he is a prolific writer. Another thing almost as certain was the inevitability of a heated discussion taking place between Keith and I any time we talked about Eby's teachings.  I didn't understand a lot of what he had to say and most of what I did understand, I didn't like or I disagreed with.  Sometimes vehemently. 

The great irony is that Eckhart Tolle's teachings opened the door of my understanding to a lot of what Eby has been saying for years.  Ironic.  A cosmic joke.  God has a sense of humor. 

Now I am more appreciative of what Eby was trying to teach me and I am going to mine out what is there.  It might take me a while because, as I mentioned, he is a prolific writer.  He has series upon series, volume upon volume.  With a simple exchange of terms (such as carnal mind for egoic mind) I find his teachings complement Tolle's writings....providing the same theme from a totally Christian paradigm. Tolle is, afterall, not a Christian...and I am.  A more Christian understanding of living out of my new nature is a good thing.

Some of the writings I've added to my always, ever expanding queue are The Antichrist, series which gives a detailed description of the egoic nature, The Seed in Every Man, which discusses the christ within and Union by Fusion....to name a few.   

I'll post any profound observations. 

4 comments:

JACK HENNESSEY and JOIAN SCHROFF said...

I discovered Eby 25 years ago and have not found his equal. I never read that which I must buy and Prinzing, Hawtin and Eby (my favorites) have published everything in a "as the Lord provides" fashion. That says volumes!

With the merchandisers I always have found a mixture that is not palatable. I learned this over many years, with thank God, not too much moneys spent.

Cindy, Eby's "SEED IN EVERY MAN" is indeed a classic. Another message of his, I have shared often with others, is "JOB". That is a good one if you haven't read it, already.

Be blessed and of course we continue to lift up Beth. Please also say hello to Keith for me.

Jack

Sue said...

Ahh, yes, the divine sense of humour. You just have to laugh in the end, don't you? :)

You are humble, my dear. It is such a good thing. Imagine if you had not been willing to learn or relearn something from someone you disagree with. I agree about Eby (not that I have read a lot of his stuff) that some is hard to swallow. Still, obviously there is a lot of good to be said about sitting with our thoughts lightly, so when we have to discard them or alter them it doesn't hurt so much :)

Cindi said...

Jack said:
I discovered Eby 25 years ago and have not found his equal. I never read that which I must buy and Prinzing, Hawtin and Eby (my favorites) have published everything in a "as the Lord provides" fashion. That says volumes!

Cindi says:
Yes, Keith has many of the writings of Prinzing and Eby..Hawtin not so much. He also has a lot of Prinzing's taped sermons. As for "as the Lord provides" Gary Sigler is another who does not charge for his writings..and has a huge website with links to all kinds of kingdom sites, including Hawtin and Eby. I met him a few times as well..and he was a fairly good friend of Keith's when he lived in Ontario. Actually, he gave us a set of cups when we married 6 years ago. We use them everyday and only one has just now "cracked." Will still work as a pen and pencil holder.

I have read through the Seed..as I said there are similarities to what Eby expresses from a Christian perspective to what is being said from a bunch of different viewpoints. Eat the hay, spit out the sticks :) As Jesus said...nothing that goes in a man defiles him...only what comes out.

Cindi....

Cindi said...

Sue said:
Ahh, yes, the divine sense of humour.

Cindi says:
You know what scripture proclaims:
He that sitteth in the heavens laughs.

Sue said:
You just have to laugh in the end, don't you? :)

Cindi:
If you can't beat 'em, might as well join them, huh?