Wednesday, October 1, 2008

He Stoops Down....

Another excerpt from the Shack has got me thinking. I know The Shack is a work of fiction, but there is some pretty deep theology going on there in the guise of a story. I am thinking about the conversation at dinner the first night Mack is there at the shack. Jesus, Sarayu and Papa are asking Mack all about his children, his wife, his friends....
Suddenly Mack blurts out what appears to him as "obvious"...."you know everything I am telling you don't you?"
Sarayu explains:
“We have limited ourselves out of respect for you. We are not bringing to mind, as it were, our knowledge of your children. As we are listening to you, it is as if this is the first time we have known about them, and we take great delight in seeing them through your eyes.”
Papa also talks about when "they spoke themselves into human existence as the Son of God they became fully human and embraced all the limitations that entailed"
This reminds me of a verse in Psalms....18:35. The NCV renders it:
You stoop down to make me great.
And God did indeed stoop when he chose to join us here in this earthly realm...Immanuel....God With Us.

No comments: