Wednesday, July 4, 2007

That's Where I Am This Morning.....

On my couch perch….where my laptop and I spend hours. The dawn of a new day….up at shortly before 6:00. It’s the Fourth of July…..and it is cloudy and overcast, with showers predicted. Isn’t that great…showers for the first time in weeks, spoiling picnics and fireworks, and amusement park plans? Keith has not had to cut the grass in weeks. So much for the spiffy new $400 lawnmower sitting in the shed. So much for the division of chores—inside and outside. (I’m the innie, he’s the outie)

I have not clued anyone in here at this blog about the events that are transpiring right now in my life. I’ve mentioned the kids…..but there is a whole other aspect of my existence in jeopardy. Long story short…..Keith was charged with leaving the scene of an accident which, if convicted, will mean the suspension of his CDL for a year…..which will mean he loses his job. The accident was a fallen tree limb…on a street with all low lying branches which scraped and scratched at the truck as he searched for the place he was supposed to make a delivery. He did not know a branch fell. Keep in mind the size of a truck (53 foot trailer plus tractor) and that there are all kinds of blind spots (you know the “if you can’t see my mirrors, I can’t see you” warnings on trucks?) The windows were up, the air-conditioning was on and there are always the sounds of yelling since it is summer and there are kids everywhere. So he truly did not realize he had knocked down a branch (which apparently took down a wire and hit a car). But as luck would have it, there were witnesses who promptly called the police. The police station just happened to be located on the very street he was on. They flagged him down as he “fled the scene” past the police station at 25 mph.

A total of five policemen were all over the truck…all over him….some “good cop/bad cop” stuff going on. This altercation lasted an hour and a half. I think in his fear he came across as cocky which probably pissed them off. So finally all but one of them got called away for a burglary. The remaining cop told him the paperwork would be coming in the mail. Well, it came alright. Leaving the scene of an accident…..400 bucks and 4 points on his license. That was bad enough but when it came to light a day or so after we got the ticket that if convicted it is an automatic suspension of his CDL for a year, I was floored. I am truly the Queen of the Worst Case Scenario…..and I cannot even remember all the negative outcomes I have imagined in my mind. We have to fight the ticket, which requires a lawyer, which requires a hefty sum of money with no guarantee of the charges being dropped or reduced enough to salvage his CDL. Job prospects are dim indeed in the area where I live. There are hundreds of other displaced workers (from plant closings, bad economy etc) What gave him an edge was his CDL and Hazmat…..and twenty-five years of experience driving a truck. There are men in our area who work for eight bucks an hour because there is nothing else. I just agreed to start working a reduced schedule at the hospital beginning in August which will cut into the income even further.

And that is where I am today.

So if anyone actually reads this blog…and you feel led to remember me in your prayers or thoughts….I would truly appreciate it. This is testing my theology, my faith, my perspective on life etc. I realize it is small potatoes in a world of big potatoes like hunger and famine and pestilence…..but it is still shaking my world.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Praying for you guys, Cindi