Monday, July 23, 2007

To Those Who Did Not Call On My Name

I read the following story several years ago on the TM Message Board. I'm not even sure who the poster was....but it was the springboard that somehow led me to two verses (ala google) in which God declares that he reveals himself to those who do not call upon "his" name, was found by those who did not seek him and reavealed himself to those who did not ask him.

There's a story at the very end of the Mahabarat (that Hindu epic)about a man called Yudhisthira, and a pilgrimage he, his brothers and his wife make up a holy mountain in the Himalayas. Yudhisthira, according to Hinduism was the only human being who lived without sin.

"While climbing the peaks, one by one Yuddhisthira’s brothers and his wife fell to their deaths, dragged down by the weight of the guilt of their few, but real sins. But Yudhisthira reached the mountain peak, because he was unblemished by sin or untruth.On the mountain peak, Indra, King of Gods, arrived to take Yudhisthira to heaven in his Golden Chariot. As Yudhisthira was about to step into the Chariot, the Indra told him to leave behind his companion dog, an unholy creature not worthy of heaven. Yudhisthira stepped back, refusing to leave behind the creature who he had taken under his protection. At that moment the dog changed into the God Dharma who was testing him...and Yudhisthira had passed with distinction.Yudhisthira was carried away on Indra's chariot. On reaching Heaven he did not find either his virtuous brothers or his wife Draupadi. The Gods told him that his brothers were in hell atoning their sins. Yudhisthira loyally went to hell to meet his brothers, but the sights and sounds of gore and blood horrified him. Tempted to flee, he mastered himself and remained on hearing the voices of his friends, his brothers and his wife, Draupadi...calling out to him, asking him to stay with them in their misery. Yudhisthira decided to remain, ordering the Divine charioteer to return.. preferring to live in hell with his friends and family than in heaven. At that moment the scene changed. This was yet another illusion to test him. Indra and Krishna appeared before him and told him that his family was already in Heaven, along with his enemies, for earthly virtues and vices don't hold true in heavenly realms. Krishna yet again hailed Yudhisthira for his dharma, and bowed to him, in the final defining moment of the epic where divinity bowed down to humanity"_________

In another version, Yudhisthira actually saves his friends and family by his willingness to sacrifice himself.


Isaiah 65:1 - "I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me; I was found by those who did not seek me. To a nation that did not call on my name, I said, 'Here am I, here am I.'

Romans 10:20 And Isaiah boldly says,” I was found by those who did not seek me; I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me.”

This just confirms to me that God has hidden his truths in all kinds of religions.....and that many know Christ....but just by a different name....and where it says in scripture he is the only name by which men must be saved it is more along the lines of name meaning nature. The two verses I found via google seems to sum this up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cindi said...

Spam...I would not delete a legitimate comment.