Wednesday, July 11, 2007

What Would Love Do Now?

Keith and I watched the movie Conversations With God this weekend. I rarely watch movies but this one piqued my interest because of the similarity between the experiences of Neale Walsch and my worst case scenario imaginings. The gist of the movie (based on a true story) is this:
Man involved in an accident and suffers a debilitating injury, man loses job, man loses home. Man is penniless, living in a homeless campsite until he manages to get a few breaks and begins to get back on his feet - albeit a long, slow process during which he is reduced to eating food out of dumpsters and making enough money from collecting cans to pay the “rent” ($25 a week) at the homeless campsite. Even then he is still plagued with bad luck. Finally one night, he drifted off to sleep on the couch after scrawling questions on a yellow legal pad…. questions similar to the ones Job asked. He is awakened by a voice asking him if he really wants to know the answers to his questions or “are you just venting?” It is God.

At least he attributes the message to God. Some of the opinions (warnings) at fundie sites on the web declare that the messages he received are not from God….but rather from a demon – perhaps THE demon. In the first book (of many) the author states that he is simply “taking dictation” from God. I haven’t read any of his books, although I may. There were concepts presented in the movie and what I’ve read since then on the internet that ring true with my spirit. They follow below. I may write more about this interesting guy in future posts, but for now, I have to get ready for work.

Guiding all of our interactions and foremost in our mind should be the question
What would love do?

God is speaking to everyone all the time. The question is not to whom does God talk, but who listens. This is clarified by the statement that God can communicate with you in the next song you hear, the next breeze that caresses your ear, the next conversation you overhear. "All these devices are mine. All these avenues are open to me. I will speak to you if you invite me."

And when asked to sum up in one paragraph what God wants to say to us Neale declares he can do it in five words…..”You’ve got me all wrong”

Indeed we do……

No comments: