Friday, August 24, 2007

Christian Evolution

About a year ago, while waiting in the doctor's office for my turn, I picked up a Time Magazine from the rack when an article caught my eye. The name of the article was God vs. Science and it was a rather lengthy transcript of a debate between Frances Collins (a scientist...and a Christian, who also believes in evolution) and Richard Dawkins (also a scientist, but an outspoken atheist.) I wrote the following post to Emerging Universalist at the time:

Following an excerpt from Wikipedia about Francis Collins:

Raised on a small farm in Virginia's Shenandoah Valley, Francis Sellers Collins was home-schooled by his mother until the sixth grade. Throughout most of his high school and college years, the aspiring chemist had little interest in what he then considered the "messy" field of biology. What he refers to as his "formative education" was received at the University of Virginia, where he earned a B.S. in Chemistry in 1970. He went on to attain a Ph.D. in physical chemistry at Yale University in 1974. While at Yale, however, a course in biochemistry sparked his interest in the molecules that hold the blueprint for life: DNA and RNA. Collins recognized that a revolution was on the horizon in molecular biology and genetics. After consulting with his old mentor from the University of Virginia, Carl Trindle, he changed fields and enrolled in medical school at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, earning there an M.D. in 1977.From 1978 to 1981, Collins served a residency and chief residency in internal medicine at North Carolina Memorial Hospital in Chapel Hill. He then returned to Yale, where he was named a Fellow in Human Genetics at the medical school from 1981 to 1984. During that time, he developed innovative methods of crossing large stretches of DNA to identify disease genes.After joining the University of Michigan in 1984 in a position that would eventually lead to a Professorship of Internal Medicine and Human Genetics, Collins heightened his reputation as a relentless gene hunter. That gene-hunting approach, which he named "positional cloning," has developed into a powerful component of modern molecular genetics.In contrast to previous methods for finding genes, positional cloning enabled scientists to identify disease genes without knowing in advance what the functional abnormality underlying the disease might be. Collins' team, together with collaborators, applied the new approach in 1989 in their successful quest for the long-sought gene responsible for cystic fibrosis. Other major discoveries soon followed, including isolation of the genes for Huntington's disease, neurofibromatosis, multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1, and the M4 type of adult acute leukemia.

and a quote from Collins, when asked, "What do you say to your fellow Christians who say, 'Evolution is just a theory, and I can't put that together with my idea of a creator God'?")


"Well, evolution is a theory. It's a very compelling one. As somebody who studies DNA, the fact that we are 98.4 percent identical at the DNA level to a chimpanzee, it's pretty hard to ignore the fact that when I am studying a particular gene, I can go to the mouse and find it's the similar gene, and it's 90 percent the same. It's certainly compatible with the theory of evolution, although it will always be a theory that we cannot actually prove. I'm a theistic evolutionist. I take the view that God, in His wisdom, used evolution as His creative scheme. I don't see why that's such a bad idea. That's pretty amazingly creative on His part. And what is wrong with that as a way of putting together in a synthetic way the view of God who is interested in creating a group of individuals that He can have fellowship with -- us? Why is evolution not an appropriate way to get to that goal? I don't see a problem with that."

That pretty cool, I think.....and sounds quite reasonable doesn't it?? And as for Dawkins? I am just going to post the link to his info on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Dawkins

There's a lot of stuff there....and would be too much for the scope of this post (and besides, I like Collins better :) BUT I am going to post his final remarks from the article in TIME magazine because even though it is taken a bit out of context, I suppose, it illustrates that even someone who is as devout an atheist as it appears he is, still has a longing for and a sense of God. There is that "God shaped hole" in his heart that nothing else is going to fill. It appears he is almost wistful in his remark. His quote follows

DAWKINS: My mind is not closed, as you have occasionally suggested, Francis. My mind is open to the most wonderful range of future possibilities, which I cannot even dream about, nor can you, nor can anybody else. What I am skeptical about is the idea that whatever wonderful revelation does come in the science of the future, it will turn out to be one of the particular historical religions that people happen to have dreamed up. When we started out and we were talking about the origins of the universe and the physical constants, I provided what I thought were cogent arguments against a supernatural intelligent designer. But it does seem to me to be a worthy idea. Refutable--but nevertheless grand and big enough to be worthy of respect. I don't see the Olympian gods or Jesus coming down and dying on the Cross as worthy of that grandeur. They strike me as parochial.
If there is a God, it's going to be a whole lot bigger and a whole lot more incomprehensible than anything that any theologian of any religion has ever proposed.



You can say that again Mr. Dawkins.......

2 comments:

Sue said...

I think that's why I like Richard Dawkins - he does have that sense of wonder about things which is just so incredibly attractive in people. A childlike sense of wonder. I imagine God, in whatever form s/he exists in ;) is going to just LURVE revealing himself to such a one as Mr Dawkins :)

Cindi said...

I think you're right Sue...and I can only imagine the look on Dawkins face when that happens.