Saturday, October 13, 2007

More about Prayer

I came across the following quote in the hospital's newsletter:
The end of prayer is not to win concessions from Almighty Power but to have communion with Almighty Love. Percy C. Ainsworth


Then this morning there was a post on EU from daniel. It was a reply to a rather long thread on prayer. His thoughts really blessed me:

However it looks, I get the same feeling quite often. It seems easier to pray for others. For myself the most appropriate prayer always seems to be "Your will be done." Yet what petitionary prayer for anyone and everyone could be better? "Your Will be done" is surely the never-failing prayer. I have similar feelings with the beloved 23rd Psalm as a prayer. Once thought turns to the fullness of the very first verse, "The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want," what more need be said? The Shepherd is all we need.

Nevertheless, prayer is the soul's sincere desire, just as the old hymn proclaims. God already knows our wants and needs, and surely searches our hearts however we outwardly pray. If Grace and Love be true, surely every cry for help is met with Divine Love. The problem for us might be that if we keep on crying for help without taking the time to rest in the Silence and listen, we might not hear the answer.

I love the story of a mother who heard her little daughter one evening softly repeating the alphabet. When she asked what she was doing, the little girl said, "I'm praying." "Why honey, you're just saying your ABC's." "Well, I don't really know what to say, so I just say the letters and let God put them together in the right way."

Now I lay me down to sleep,
A B C D E F G....



Thanks, daniel....

No comments: