Monday, October 22, 2007

Yancey and Prayer:

Yancey wrote the book Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference about a year ago, so I know this post is somewhat dated. I read through most of the book shortly after it came out. It is on the bookshelf with about 5 or 6 other Yancey books....just a few feet from where I am sitting. Yesterday, while surfing, (dang, I did a LOT of surfing this weekend) I came across some excerpts on Google Books that caught my attention. I thought a post or two about the book (quotes from it and comments about it) might fit nicely with some recent discussions about prayer. Since a quote of Yancey's was the subject of yesterday's post about the OT, he was probably in my thoughts. He does have some deep, insightful things to say about prayer so I think a post or two about the book would be appropriate. I did, afterall, write a post about C.S. Lewis and his views about prayer, so this is quite a bit more current. Yancey has the same heart wrenching questions and doubts all the rest of us have. In an interview On the Faithful Reader web site he was asked:

What made you decide to write a book about prayer?

He replied:

I could give a lot of answers, but the honest one is that I felt so inadequate in my life of prayer. As I talked with other Christians I realized that I’m not alone. We have this enormous privilege of communicating with the Lord of the universe, and yet we struggle mightily. I began with a list of questions, my questions. Why are some prayers answered and others not? Why do I sometimes hit a wall of God’s silence? Does it matter whether ten or a hundred people pray for someone’s healing? Does prayer change God or change us? Why tell God something God already knows? These seemed to point to the question in the book’s subtitle: Does prayer make any difference?

Later in the interview he was asked:

At what point do you find you have no answers and have to rely on trust or faith about prayer?


At almost every point, frankly. I can never resolve the mystery of prayer. Why didn’t God intervene at Auschwitz, and in view of that how can I expect God to intervene with the relatively unimportant matters of my life? I don’t think anyone can answer those questions. In essence, prayer is a declaration of trust. Jesus gave us the model in Gethsemane, his prayer moving from “Take this cup away” to “Not my will but yours be done.” Alone, his friends asleep, surrounded by enemies on an alien planet, he too sensed some of the alienation and desperation we sometimes feel as we pray.

He went on to say:

I would go back to the disjunction between God’s reluctance to intervene in big things (like Auschwitz) and the Bible’s exhortation for us to pray for small things. I can’t put those two together.

I can so relate. My next few posts will be about quotes and excerpts from this book...

6 comments:

Sue said...

I think crescenet said it all, really

Cindi said...

It's Portuguese spam. I translated it on one of those free translation sites...but since you made a cute comment I will leave it as it...

:)

Sue said...

Those translation sites are a hoot, aren't they :)

You know what I love about Yancey? He persists in writing about things that he feels inadequate in. And in the process, learns more about it and takes us along with him. I love the fact that so many of God's kids are immersing themselves in the paradoxes. It's where all the juicy stuff lives :)

Cindi said...

Yep...the paradoxes or as John Gavazonni calls them...the contrariansims. From some of the things he says in the book on Prayer, I would not be surprised if he doesn't take us on an exploration of the paradox of a good God and the existence of hell in a future book. He said some things in "Prayer" that hinted at that. I haven't read a lot of Yancey's writing. I don't even think I finished the last chapter or two in his book on prayer. I read "What's So Amazing About Grace" about five or six years ago...maybe longer than that. There are quite a few of his books on the bookshelf...but there are so many books and so little time :)

Sue said...

Yes, so many books, so little time indeed :)

Since I started questioning the whole hell thing seriously and came to my universalist conclusions about 3 years ago, it's amazed me how it suddenly seems like such a hot topic. Everywhere I look people seem to be questioning something that 5 years ago was untouchable territory. Interesting ...

Cindi said...

Sue said "Everywhere I look people seem to be questioning something that 5 years ago was untouchable territory. Interesting ..."

I don't think it is as much of a taboo subject as it once was...but it still gets many Christians hot under the collar. I think the internet has done so much to advance the spread of the true Gospel...the REALLY good news...