Monday, February 4, 2008

Listen Up!!!

My buddy Brian from EU pointed this out in a post he wrote a while back during a discussion about the inerrancy of the OT.

There is an interesting example in the bible itself where a prophet explicitly contradicts an account written in an earlier book of scripture. In 2 Kings, the prophet Elisha anoints Jehu as king and tells him to "strike down the house of your master Ahab, so that I may avenge on Jezebel the blood of my servants the prophets"


(2 Kings 9)
4 So the young prophet did as he was told and went to Ramoth-gilead. 5 When he arrived there, he found Jehu sitting in a meeting with the other army officers. "I have a message for you, Commander," he said."For which one of us?" Jehu asked."For you, Commander," he replied. 6 So Jehu left the others and went into the house. Then the young prophet poured the oil over Jehu's head and said, "This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: I anoint you king over the LORD's people, Israel. 7 You are to destroy the family of Ahab, your master. In this way, I will avenge the murder of my prophets and all the LORD's servants who were killed by Jezebel. 8 The entire family of Ahab must be wiped out – every male, slave and free alike, in Israel. 9 I will destroy the family of Ahab as I destroyed the families of Jeroboam son of Nebat and of Baasha son of Ahijah. 10 Dogs will eat Ahab's wife, Jezebel, at the plot of land in Jezreel, and no one will bury her." Then the young prophet opened the door and ran.


Jehu got the Samaritans to wage war on Ahab and to bring him the heads of Ahab's 70 sons in baskets. Then Jehu marched into Samaria himself and "killed all who were left to Ahab in Samaria, until he had wiped them out, according to the word of the Lord that he spoke to Elijah"


(2 Kings 10:17)
And when he came to Samaria, he killed all who remained to Ahab in Samaria, till he had destroyed them, according to the word of the LORD which He spoke to Elijah. NKJV


According to the story in 2 Kings, God was pleased with this outcome :

(2 Kings 10:30)
The Lord said to Jehu, "Because you have done well in carrying out what I consider right, and in accordance with all that was in my heart have dealt with the house of Ahab, your sons of the fourth generation shall sit on the throne of Israel."

But the prophet Hosea was having none of this : he declared that God would "punish the house of Jehu for the blood of Jezreel, and...put an end to the kingdom of the house of Israel"

(Hosea 1:4). And the LORD said, "Name the child Jezreel, for I am about to punish King Jehu's dynasty to avenge the murders he committed at Jezreel.


So who heard God right? Elijah/Elisha or Hosea? This is the point I've been trying to make. When scripture declares the Lord said to kill/avenge/wipe out...it might not be the voice of the Lord and that we might most clearly see the character and nature of God viewed through the lens of WWJD. What would Jesus do? Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just got through blogging on this very same issue. I don't think you necessarily need to say that one is wrong - essentially throwing out the verse in II Kings (tempting as it may be). Rather, perhaps it is best to understand God's desire for Ahab's house to be overthrown carried out without the knowledge of the mercy of God. Revelation is progressive, after all.

Cindi said...

Thanks for stopping by...and thank you for the comment. I visited your blog and read a few posts. It is a very impressive blog with great artwork to illustrate the posts etc. I will have to spend more time there when...well...when I have more time to spend. I think we probably see the OT from a different perspective...although I don't have it all ironed out. That is why some of my posts (example - The Binding of Isaac and the OT atrocities) explore more than one point of view. I think I might lean more to the liberal side of the boat than you do from the few posts I read. I will visit again. Quite the task to blog through the Bible (I think I read that was your goal) but just think what an impressive archive you will have...a treasury of insights and thoughts. Again..thanks for stopping by.

Cindi....