Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Blessing Called Work Part 3

In Part 2 of this series, I posted several paragraphs from Michael Tummillo's book, 8 Things I Hate About Jesus. The following snippet made me stop and think that perhaps I am missing the point....

In the workplace, the homeplace or the schoolplace, the very people that we quite often see as an interruption, an imposition,and an inconvenience are actually our PURPOSE for getting up that day with a pulse.

So, as of now, I am planning on getting up tomorrow morning--Monday morning--in the wee hours. I plan on getting up with a pulse (although it may be a bit faint until my first cup of coffee) So that qualifies me for the "missionary work" God had in mind when he decided on the "who, what, when, where, why and how" of my life. Reminds me of the verse in Ephesians:

2:10 For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. NIV

or in the Amplified's usual wordy way of saying things:

For we are God's [own] handiwork (His workmanship), recreated in Christ Jesus, [born anew] that we may do those good works which God predestined (planned beforehand) for us [taking paths which He prepared ahead of time], that we should walk in them [living the good life which He prearranged and made ready for us to live]. AMP

In other words, I have an opportunity to minister, to spread the love and peace of Christ to the participants at the Safety Committee Meeting scheduled at 8:00, and to the housekeeper who calls to report a leaky faucet, or to the testy office manager whose work area is too hot, or to the echo tech who calls to have a patient transported. Hmmm. I can shoot for "being salt and light to the world in which I participate" but at the very least, given the number of people I interact with in the course of the day, I could surely brighten someone's day. Think I'll give it a try tomorrow.

In A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of A Course in Miracles Marianne Williamson says:

Every situation we find ourselves in is an opportunity, perfectly planned by the Holy Spirit, to teach love instead of fear.

Two other articles of Michael Tummillo's you might want to check out.... Your Job/Your Ministry and Are You a Workplace Apostle?

No comments: