Sunday, September 7, 2008

A Blessing Called Work...Part 1

I don't hate my job.  At least most days, anyway.  I am the poster girl for the cliche, "jack of all trades, master of none." My job duties encompass providing most of the secretarial support for the Maintenance Department, all the secretarial support for the Biomed Department--assorted secretarial support for many other departments under the "integrated service" umbrella.  In addition to that, I am a CSR; an internal customer service rep. 

That is my main job and it entails answering the helpline phone, routing calls and dispatching the appropriate personnel for quite a few services within the 3 hospital health system.  Need a toilet unclogged, call the helpline.  Need a patient moved?  Call the helpline.  Need a package/specimen/piece of equipment taken to another location?  Call the helpline and I will dispatch the appropriate courier.  Need a vital piece of medical equipment repaired NOW?  Call the helpline.  Need one of the automated, computerized robots called TUG to pick up the trash or linen?  Call the helpline.  Have a question, concern, complaint?  Call the helpline.  Need to book a meeting room?  Call the helpline.  Need to talk to a manager?  Well, dang...call the helpline.  (Aren't you getting it yet?) 

My phone rings constantly.  I stare into a computer screen all day, utilizing a myriad number of programs needed to log and track and send and organize all this activity.  There are 4 other CSR's that I have to stay in touch with--all in different physical locations--via phone, nextel direct connect and especially via email.  I answer to about 5 bosses.  My "real" boss (the one who does my evaluations, determines my schedule--the one who has the most say so and to whom I officially report) is not the boss I spend the most time with.  That boss is the head of the Biomedical Engineering Department.  His office adjoins mine.  I interact with him every day, all day.  I attend meetings with him (because a big part of my job is to take minutes for assorted long, wordy meetings and write reports to summarize.)  We have become friends.  He has been a source of great inspiration and encouragement during this (ongoing) Beth ordeal.  He shares with me some of the concerns he has in his life as well...and the issues that come up with two sons...one 13 and the other one about 10 or so.  I would like to publicly thank him (even though he does not read my blog...nor do I want him to) for his support and for being a great boss.  I want to thank God for depositing me in the office next to him.  It has been a blessing. 

And you know, this post has really gotten too long to write about what I started out to write about!!!  So another series is birthed!!!  More in my next post.....

No comments: