Thursday, September 3, 2009

Coincidence?

I stopped at the library tonight after work, killing some time (yet again) while waiting for Emily to get finished with Cross Country practice. She wanted to hit Staples to buy back to school SUPPLIES...not to be confused with back to school CLOTHES....which we shopped for last week.  She filled a basket with notebooks, binders, dividers, mechanical pencils etc. etc. etc.

I love the library.  When I go to there, I browse the shelves much like I browse the shelves of a book store....wandering up and down the aisles.  I usually head for the religion/philosophy sections and something there always catches my eye.  This afternoon I was poking around on a shelf when a small paperback book fell onto the floor.  Now I WAS poking around on the shelf so it is not as if I was just walking by and the book jumped out at me, but it did fall on the floor, and it did get my attention and it just so happened that the book was about the topic I've been writing about lately.  The title....Mysticism: Christian and Buddhist, The Eastern and Western Way.  On the cover it describes itself as "A study of the qualities Meister Eckhart shares with Zen and Shin Buddhism." 

Hmmmmm...intriguing.  Perhaps there is something in the book I am supposed to learn?  And then convey?  Perhaps.  Stranger things have happened. 

I could only find the "snippet" view on google books, but I found links that led to a couple of other books with a Christian Buddhist theme...books with a "limited preview."  The links follow.....

The Mirror Mind: Zen and Christian Dialouge by William Johnston

Christian Zen also by William Johnston

Living Zen, Loving God by Ruben L. F. Habito

The Sound of Liberating Truth: Buddhist-Christian Dialouges by Frederick J. Streng, Sallie B. King

 Beside Still Waters, Jews, Christians, and the way of the Buddha

By Harold Kasimow, John P. Keenan, Linda Klepinger Keenan

 

If I come across anything interesting in the book....I'll let you know.  I plan to write more on this topic....tomorrow....

No comments: