Wednesday, January 27, 2010

And the Last One -Letting Go Of Resentment

In a comment on Stepping Over Our Anger...the first post, Will mentioned a verse from Psalm 18 that had comforted him during a troubled time in his life...
Psalm 18:29 For by You I can run against a troop, By my God I can leap over a wall.
His mention of that particular Psalm caused me to go back and reread it.  As it turns out, I've already written about about Psalm 18.  One of my favorite verses is Psalm 18:35 which the NCV renders:
You stoop down to make me great.
I love that verse because he does truly stoop down to make us great...but there is lot more stuff to take notice of in this Psalm; stuff that just so happens to go along with the theme of these past few posts.
So, as I've mentioned, Step 4 in the Twelve Steps of AA is about introspection...about performing, with God's help, a fearless moral inventory. It is about shining  the light of reason on our old resentments. It helps us flip the switch in order to see our own complicity. About that Ray Prinzing quote...no need to curse the darkness.  Simply turn on the light.   Psalm 18:28 words it this way:
For You cause my lamp to be lighted and to shine; the Lord my God illumines my darkness.  NRSV
The Message says this...
God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes. Psalm 18:24
Psalm 90 talks about how our iniquities are set before him
our secret sins in the light of your presence.
I reread several chapters in a New Earth today at the gym.  The following phrase caught my eye
Seeing is freeing... 
Indeed it is...
And again in Psalm 18, it declares
you rescued me from the man of violence.18:48
Perhaps I am taking this verse out of context a bit...but I wonder if the "man of violence" dwells within us rather than outside of us.  The carnal man...in scripture.  The egoic mind in A New Earth.
There was other stuff I underlined and took note of as I read (my dog eared copy of) A New Earth at the gym...and that makes this a good place to say....
More on that....tomorrow.   

No comments: