Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Fatherhood of God - Part 5

I am still pondering and researching the Fatherhood of God, feeling as if I have left things out. All the while, I am marveling that I have actually completed a 5 part series on something. Usually, I type everything I know in one megalong post...which is a no-no in the blogging world....or I lose interest before a series can be birthed. Well...not lose interest exactly, but something new piques my curiosity and I am off on yet another web search. I was googling some stuff this morning about God as the father of ALL...and I came upon a quote from Jonathan Edwards. I've read the quote before, but this morning I remembered that Jonathan Edwards was a father himself. Of quite a brood of kids if I recall. 12 or 13 of them. Was his heart this hard toward his own children...his sense of "justice" so pronounced that he could utter:

"The sight of hell torments will exalt the happiness of the saints forever. . .Can the believing father in Heaven be happy with his unbelieving children in Hell. . . I tell you, yea! Such will be his sense of justice that it will increase rather than diminish his bliss."
-Jonathan Edwards, "The Eternity of Hell Torments" (Sermon), April 1739

How could a learned scholar miss the big as a barn declaration in Scripture that God is LOVE. God is Father?

William Barclay, on the other hand, does not miss it...and he eloquently captures the heart of a father...the heart of our father...and the father of every human who has ever lived or will live in his writing "I Am a Convinced Universalist"

......there is only one way in which we can think of the triumph of God. If God was no more than a King or Judge, then it would be possible to speak of his triumph, if his enemies were agonizing in hell or were totally and completely obliterated and wiped out. But God is not only King and Judge, God is Father - he is indeed Father more than anything else. No father could be happy while there were members of his family for ever in agony. No father would count it a triumph to obliterate the disobedient members of his family. The only triumph a father can know is to have all his family back home. The only victory love can enjoy is the day when its offer of love is answered by the return of love. The only possible final triumph is a universe loved by and in love with God."

-William Barclay, William Barclay: A Spiritual Autobiography

Which of these two men has gotten a glimpse into the heart of our Father. Which of these two men was willing to REALLY take a look-see? One of these guys was a "convinced universalist." The other....a "sinner in the hands of an angry God." Oh thank you Lord for eyes to see the truth....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a good one Cindi. The contrast is more than stark and yet most cannot see the Father's Great Love.

How deceitful and dark is the heart of man.

God bless,

Jack

Cindi said...

Hi, Jack...
Good to hear from you. How are you? Have not seen you posting much on TM...you must be busy with your "my church" page..and your blog.

Cindi...

Anonymous said...

Hey Cindy, I have been busy praying much lately as this death of self is painful and sometimes so debilitating.

I am not on "TM" or "My Church" any longer as dissenting views with the temporal controlling powers to be are prohibited. lol

It is all good and the seasons often vary and change quickly in this walk as I am sure you know. Give my regards to Keith and I pray the kids are doing fine.

Jack

Cindi said...

Do you still have your other blog? Sonshine...isn't that the name?

Cindi.....

Anonymous said...

Yes "SONSHINE" is a mainstay and I finally found a partner that can put up with this ol' curmudgeon lol. Joian has been sharing some neat stuff lately and I am so proud of her.

http://jack-sonshine.blogspot.com/

I also stumbled into the "Earl Paulk fiasco" in Atlanta and ended up with a blog there. Learning to say "Y'all" and working on my mullet ;-)

http://community.myfoxatlanta.com/blogs/Hennessey

Y'all come for gander if ya like,

Jack