Tuesday, July 29, 2008

He Took Jesus At His Word.....

I was reading in John today...Chapter 4 The story about the healing of the "certain royal official's son" piqued my interest.

46 Once more he visited Cana in Galilee, where he had turned the water into wine. And there was a certain royal official whose son lay sick at Capernaum. 47 When this man heard that Jesus had arrived in Galilee from Judea, he went to him and begged him to come and heal his son, who was close to death. 48 "Unless you people see miraculous signs and wonders," Jesus told him, "you will never believe." 49 The royal official said, "Sir, come down before my child dies." 50 Jesus replied, "You may go. Your son will live." The man took Jesus at his word and departed. 51 While he was still on the way, his servants met him with the news that his boy was living. 52 When he inquired as to the time when his son got better, they said to him, "The fever left him yesterday at the seventh hour." 53 Then the father realized that this was the exact time at which Jesus had said to him, "Your son will live." So he and all his household believed.

The official's son was "close to death." When the official found out that Jesus was in Galilee, he went to Jesus for help. It seems that Jesus might have been his last ditch effort to save his son. Depending on what version you read, there are several different words that are used to describe the urgency of his request. Some of the versions simply say he asked. Ahhhhh....if my child was at the point of death and Jesus was my only hope, I'm pretty sure I would do more than ask politely. I would be on my knees....I would be pleading. The NKV says he implored, the ASV states that he besought. Many of the versions simply say that he begged Jesus to come and heal his son. Then, as is often the case in Scripture, Jesus says something I don't expect. Is it just me or does it seem almost like Jesus scolds him? "You people"...."unless you see miraculous signs and wonders, you will never believe." Sort of along the lines of "ye of little faith." But the official is not seeking signs and wonders for the heck of it.....for the thrill of a magic trick. He is trying to save the life of his son. He repeats his request...."come down before my child dies." And then it seems, almost matter of factly, Jesus tells him to be on his way....your son will live.

The next sentence amazes me.

The man took Jesus at his word and departed.

Wow. Just like that? No further reassurances needed? He simply took Jesus at his word. At this point in the story, the official is not a believer. It is later...after he confirms that the time of the healing was the exact time Jesus declared the son healed. It was then that the official and all his household believed. Which, as a side note, confirms what Jesus said about signs and wonders. It was after all the miracle that nudged them into belief. But let's give credit where credit is due. This guy, in this life and death situation, simply decided to take Jesus at his word. Oh that I had the faith to do the same, I find myself questioning when I consider all the promises and reassurances in the Gospels. As I read the "words in red" in scripture, why can't I simply do as the royal official did....and take Jesus at his word?

2 comments:

JACK HENNESSEY and JOIAN SCHROFF said...

Wonderful blog. I know Jesus will give you faith for your situation. Beth and you are in my prayers today.

Jack

JACK HENNESSEY and JOIAN SCHROFF said...

I thought of your situation when I read this portion of a writing from a century and half past by James Smith.

Wait on the Lord, for HE IS STRONG TO SAVE.

No case can be desperate that is brought to him. The poor woman in the Gospel had spent all her money, tried all the physicians, and was nothing bettered, but rather grew worse, until she came to Jesus; and then, by only touching his garment, she obtained a cure. So, let your case be as bad as it may, having tried what means you will, the Lord can with one word deliver you, set you up on high, and save you forever. He loves to undertake difficult cases. He gets glory by appearing for poor souls in their extremity. He has so appeared for millions, and he will yet appear for you. Fix your eye on his strength, and your heart on his promise. David did so, and in wondering faith exclaimed– "O Lord God Almighty! Where is there anyone as mighty as you, Lord? Faithfulness is your very character."

All the strength of God, if needed, will be put forth for you, if you wait upon him. Oh! what encouragement to wait upon the Lord, to know that he can help because he is strong, and that he will help because he has promised!

Enduring an excruciating seven year trial I can agree with the thought I once read where it was said, " patience and time are the most fierce of warriors." I truly will be glad when time is no more and patience is fulfilled. Thank God, in prayer we can touch that place at times.