Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Contemplatives in the marketplace...

Yesterday I mentioned the Mission Trail that Keith and I visited while in San Antonio. There were many signs throughout all the missions that explained historical facts, bits of information etc. about the missions and the Spanish priests (the Franciscans) who founded them. On one of the signs there was a phrase that made me stop and think...and it stuck with me…..

It said that the Franciscans consider themselves “Contemplatives in the marketplace.” I’ve rolled that phrase over and around in my mind quite a few times since I first read it. It occurs to me that is what we, too, are called to be/do. In the world but not of the world. We all have our function in God’s kingdom but I think it is much more difficult to maintain (as my friend Kathy used to say) our Christian witness in the down and dirty, knitty gritty, everyday life in the world at large. Much easier to remain spiritual when you do not have to put up with the crap that goes on…when your patience is not tested or tried When you are not tempted,….or tired, or torn about a decision. But Jesus did not hide away from the world…and many of us are called to live out our faith in everyday life. At work, at play, at home and some of us are even called to live out our faith in church….which is sometimes the hardest place to maintain a Christian witness.

But anyway, I liked the phrase…and thought I would share it….

No comments: