Friday, October 2, 2009

More about vain imaginations....

In the comments section Jack tied together our "vain imaginations" with the cherubim who guard the tree of life. Coincidentally, the small Wednesday night Bible Study I am a part of is studying Genesis...and that is the chapter we read last week.  I have some thoughts rattling around in my head...but no time to actually put them into a post this morning.  I have been doing a bit of web surfing...or research as I sometimes call it...at some of the major Bible Study sites on the internet.  Blueletter Bible, Studylight, Bible Gateway...and a few others. 

Since I am running late, I am simply going to copy/paste some verses here that I've been pondering.  Several are more renderings of 2 Corinthians 10:5 in other translations.  A few are from other places in the Bible.  Comments welcome...and encouraged. 

2 Corinthians 10:5

 [Inasmuch as we] refute arguments and theories and reasonings and every proud and lofty thing that sets itself up against the [true] knowledge of God; and we lead every thought and purpose away captive into the obedience of Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One)AMP

These weapons can break down every proud argument against God and every wall that can be built to keep men from finding him. With these weapons I can capture rebels and bring them back to God and change them into men whose hearts' desire is obedience to Christ.  (TLB)

For we overthrow arrogant 'reckonings,' and every stronghold that towers high in defiance of the knowledge of God, and we carry off every thought as if into slavery--into subjection to Christ; WEY

And a few other verses from other places in Scripture....

Romans 1:21Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

Acts 4:25-26, “Who by the mouth of thy servant David hast said, Why did the heathen rage, and the people imagine vain things? 26 The kings of the earth stood up, and the rulers were gathered together against the Lord, and against his Christ.”


Jeremiah 7:24, “But they hearkened not, nor inclined their ear, but walked in the counsels and in the imagination of their evil heart, and went backward, and not forward.”


Hebrews 4:12 For the Word that God speaks is alive and full of power [making it active, operative, energizing, and effective]; it is sharper than any two-edged sword, penetrating to the dividing line of the R7 breath of life (soul) and [the immortal] spirit, and of joints and marrow [of the deepest parts of our nature], exposing and sifting and analyzing and judging the very thoughts and purposes of the heart.

Comments welcome on these verses too....

3 comments:

JACK HENNESSEY and JOIAN SCHROFF said...

Whew, there was an anointing on those scriptures Cindy. Surely His hand was at work in your selection of translations.

I have a friend that is finishing Elwin Roach's series of writings on the cherubim and seraphim. She reports, that this message is an astounding eye opener. I thought you might enjoy these writings that I have recommended many times over the last few years.

To wet your appetite here is an introductory line from the first of this five part series. The link is below.

"THE CHERUBIM ARE IMAGINATIONS which find their roots in the imaginative mind of man.

Perhaps we can see why the cherubim were sewn into the veil, that which represents man's mind, and is the obstacle which separates him from the Most Holy Place. The curtains of the tabernacle also contained cherubim, as well as the two doors of the temple, not to mention the walls. Everywhere in the tabernacle and the temple cherubim were sewn and made. This was for the purpose of keeping carnality out of the Holy of the Holies, which is the same as the midst of the Garden." (Roach)

http://www.godfire.net/cherubim_seraphim1.html

God bless,

Jack

Cindi said...

Hi Jack...
Truth be told, I have had a chip on my shoulder toward Elwin Roach for years. Why? About five or six years ago, I was looking around his site and found an article on marriage and divorce. Some of the stuff he said in that article was the most condemning words I have seen in print...especially on a kingdom website. The gist of the article was that if you divorce you might as well just murder your children....because it is the same result. He said it is worse than incest. AND...he left the impression that it can never be righted. I doubt any traditional hellfire preacher has made such condemning remarks. Very Dr. Lauraish. I decided at the time that I had no desire to read anything he wrote. I have glanced at the newsletters Keith gets monthly. I've listened to Keith read an excerpt or two. I knew about the death of his grandson and I was sorry to hear that. And I know he is buds with Preston Eby (whom I differ with on some stuff but who I think is probably a top notch kind of guy). But I followed your link...read the article...and may, if time allows (since there is so much I want to read and so little time) read the rest of the series. I noticed, at first glance the divorce article is not there. I poked around a bit more...and then finally did an all out search of the site. The article is still listed in the site map....DIVORCE - A SENTENCE OF DEATH but it is a dead link. Thank goodness is all I can say. I also could not find it via google. Which is another thank goodness. I found a quote that I liked very much...

Although we may be one with our Father and one with Christ -- we are not our Father; despite the fact we find Him in each of us -- we are still not Him; and even though we may be in His very image -- it does not make us Him. We can be everything He is, do everything He does, manifest godliness at all times, and we can exercise all His authority as it is given to us -- but we will never be Him! We will forever have God as our Father, and we will always be His sons and daughters -- but not HIM! Elwin Roach /We Are Not Our Father

http://www.godfire.net/areweour.html

I know I have ventured completely off topic here...and this is actually long enough to be a full fledged post. But I like the quote because that is how God has revealed himself to me. As Father. I wrote about this topic somewhere on this blog....

Anyway...thanks for the comments you take the time to leave here now and then.

Cindi....

JACK HENNESSEY and JOIAN SCHROFF said...

Yes, I understand how you might feel if Roach's writing on divorce was as condemning as you said it was. I take them all with a grain of salt including Eby. They all, including me, see in part and miss it completely in some instances.

I remember reading that quote on the Father. I also believe, one must be careful when and how they proclaim themselves as Christ. I know that Christ, outside the ages, to be the Father.

As far man beyond the eons, my view might be considered too lofty for many, including Roach. One must know where and who we are with regard to time.

Hey be blessed Cindy. I have enjoyed reading of your journey,

Jack