Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sorry Walter, No Fan Club....

More from Starcke...but first...a disclaimer.  Lest it seem I am forming a new chapter of the Walter Starcke fan club on this blog, I am not.  Several quotes from this interview captured my attention and got the wheels and cogs moving in my brain.  The quotes are a good starting point for me to build on...and so I have based several posts on thoughts pertaining to them.  Truthfully, a lot of what he says in his devotionals does not resonate with me.  It is a bit too much "I am God" for me. I guess at this point, I agree with Elwin Roach.

Although we may be one with our Father and one with Christ -- we are not our Father; despite the fact we find Him in each of us -- we are still not Him; and even though we may be in His very image -- it does not make us Him. We can be everything He is, do everything He does, manifest godliness at all times, and we can exercise all His authority as it is given to us -- but we will never be Him! We will forever have God as our Father, and we will always be His sons and daughters -- but not HIM!

But there is something to this sacred humanity.  Even Jesus talked about it.  He often referred to himself as the Son of Man. In one article I skimmed over, it claimed that he used that name/title for himself over 80 times. I am going to ponder this topic in upcoming posts...soon...depending, of course, on how often I digress :)

The Starcke quote...from his interview...follows

From the beginning I intuitively knew not to reject the human as being less important than the spiritual. To me one did not exclude the other. I was uncomfortable around people who did not recognize the spirit within them and also (uncomfortable) around those who were denying their humanity—and just trying to be "holy." I'm happier today than I have ever been, because there are so many of us now who are consciously expressing (their divinity without rejecting their humanity) both our humanity and our divinity.

He goes on to say:

Joel (Goldsmith) summed up his teaching by quoting the Gospel of John: "In the beginning was the Word and the Word was made flesh and dwells among us." Then Joel would add, "But being flesh it is still the word," meaning that everything around us is consciousness manifesting in form. I sometimes say (I don't see people). Well, of course, I see them. What I mean is that I see consciousness manifesting as a form. The point I'm trying to make is that we're here for one reason—to become conscious beings. That means that we don't identify ourselves as form only.

Like I said...some resonates very much...some, not so much, but it is thought provoking....

1 comment:

Jack Hennessey said...

"But there is something to this sacred humanity."

I believe so Cindi. The problem is that many take Theosis and bring it into the vain selfish realm, where fallen man living in time and space proclaims himself, as God. We are not God but little gods ......... very little gods. We are indeed growing into the Godhead but as we dwell in this world and in sinful flesh, we are far from finished. I believe it is a matter of realizing where we are and as long as we dwell in the aions/ ages we are not the fullness of God, as was the case with Jesus, who knew no sin.

This below, is one of my favorite quotes by the old mystics, both for beauty of language and awesomeness of concept. I think it wondrously speaks of the value of man.

Be blessed,
Jack


"That the Outward Man, how eminent soever in all Natural and Political Sciences, is to be denied, and die in us; and, that the Inward Man by the Light of Grace, through profession and practice of a holy life, is to be acknowledged and live in us: Which is the only means to keep the true Sabbath in inward Holiness, and free from outward Pollution.

For so it was ordained between God and man from all eternity, that Man should be God, and God, Man, neither without the other; that is, as God Himself is, and will be, the Paradise, garden, tabernacle, mansion, house, temple, and Jerusalem of man, so also was Man created for the same end, that he should be the Paradise, garden, tabernacle, mansion, house, temple, and Jerusalem of God; that by this mutual union and friendship of God with Man, and of Man with God, all the wisdom, power, virtue and glory eternally hidden in God should be opened and multiplied. For, God once made all things for Man, but Man for Himself."

Valentine Weigelius.
SAPIENS DOMINABITUR ASTRIS

1649