Sunday, January 18, 2009

Christianity the only way?

I found the following comments on the blog I mentioned in a recent post...Open Source Theology. In a thread from September 2007 (back to the day late/dollar short thing) entitled Christianity, The Only Way? I found these interesting comments on religious inclusion/exclusion.


The following statement was made by someone named Phil:



While I would agree that religions (and further subdivisions within those religions) vary in terms of how well they point to God, I would deny that Christianity is the only way. Christ, not Christianity, is the way the truth and the life… And though there is one way to the Father: Christ, I might say that there are several ways to Christ (or to rephrase this so that it is less controversial, different people on different life journeys encounter Christ in different way.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


The following quote from someone called danutz which espouses the opposite view....



I think religious pluralism goes well with the NT if you read the NT through a metaphorical view. For example, I think Christ is the way to salvation, but I see Christ as something bigger than Jesus. I see Christ as an ideal or philosophy that is revealed in the NT about loosing your own selfish way of life and becoming transformed into a life focused on the service of others. I see "believing in Jesus" as described in John 3:16 to be more correctly defined as accepting his truth to be your truth. Having faith is more about accepting that Jesus’ description of the kingdom of God will happen and finding your part in making it true rather than believing theological ideas about who or what he was.

No comments: