Tuesday, January 6, 2009

You'll Never Be The Way You Should Be????

Yesterday, my friend Dena, posted a link to a Brennan Manning video on You Tube.  I knew of Brennan Manning...knew he wrote a book called The Ragamuffin Gospel...associated him (rightly or wrongly) in my mind with the emergent church movement and just kind of felt that he seems to be the kind of guy who might hang out with Philip Yancey. 

I loved this video...right until the very final sentence when he should have kept on talking.  He should have added something like...

....until you allow my spirit to permeate your being and from the inside out I will guide you back to how "you should be"...or in the words of a Linda Musgrove song...called "I'll Take You Back"

I'll take you back to where you were in me before the fall of man. 

I'll restore your soul, I'll reconcile your heart

I'll give you back your true identity. 

I'm removing the veil from your eyes

So that you can clearly see

You will be with me in paradise

On this earth you'll walk with me.....

And you most definitely will be "as you should be." Trust me. 

There are several other Brennan Manning videos that can be accessed from this video. (you know how YouTube lists related videos off to the right) There are also links to videos declaring that Brennan Manning is proclaiming a false gospel...is an angel of light...wolf in sheep's clothing etc. etc. Quite a few other preacher/teachers fit into this category...and there are videos to "prove it."  Joyce Meyer's, Joel Olsteen, Mother Teresa....and the list goes on.  Even Billy Graham.  Especially Billy Graham. There was a video called Why Billy Graham is Going To Hell.  Self described as an:

Excerpt from the sermon preached by Pastor Steven L Anderson at Faithful Word Baptist Church in Phoenix, AZ, independent, fundamental, soul-winning, King James Bible preaching.

Boy oh boy...makes me want to high tail it to Phoenix to get me some of that independent, fundamental, soul-winning, King James Bible preaching.  Guess You Tube will just have to do in the meantime.

There are also links to quite a few John MacArthur videos.  I was exposed to a lot of his teachings back in the days of being a newbie Christian...a free spirit in a very conservative reformed, Calvinistic church.  Not a good fit. 

I know his teachings are Calvinistic... which makes me wonder about the video where he promotes a book he authored called Safe In The Arms of God which espouses the view that all babies go to heaven.  Perhaps he disagrees with the father of Calvinism himself who declares:

 "There are babies a span long in hell."

There are a lot videos from his appearances on The Larry King Show.  Among them is a video where he twists the gospel to defend the war in Iraq, explains why homosexuality destroys families and explains the "true gospel."

I don't not like John MacArthur...although I would like to mess up his perfectly coiffed hair a bit.  I know he has spent his life as a teacher/preacher.  How can he so miss the mark?  What makes the videos I mention above (and provide links to) worth watching are the opposing opinions of other guests on the show with him...and just the "you've got to be kidding" factor...the check in one's spirit upon hearing some of the ludicrous things he proclaims as truth.  My advice...stick with Brennan Manning or the many other teachers who have a clue to the heart of God and the magnitude of the true gospel. 

7 comments:

Sue said...

"I don't not like John MacArthur...although I would like to mess up his perfectly coiffed hair a bit"

++++++

LOL!! :) This was a fun trip down Churchianity lane. It's funny you know - for several years I felt this horrid, "Ew, what if THEY'RE right?" kind of feeling when I would listen to things like this. Now it's so much clearer what ludicrous Empire Religion teaching this is. Blind dying mammon loving western civilisation, stupid religion preached by rich white powerful men - it's such a snug fit.

I wonder if John Calvin is horrified at the mental illness that has been caused by his proclamations. Yukky yukky yukky

Thanks, this was fun! :D

Anonymous said...

Great blog you have going here. I'll be sure to watch.

Christian Universalism has brought a great comfort to me.

Cindi said...

Hi Sue!!
You sum it up so well. Where have you been? I've missed you and your insightful comments. I am going to write some more about some of those You Tube videos by John McA...especially about some of the others who joined him on the Larry King Show who had a much kinder, gentler version of Christianity. Soft-spoken, unpretentious, gracefilled, merciful preachers.

As far as Calvin..Yukky, yukky, yukky sums it up really well!!!
He had no qualms about burning Servetus at the stake over green wood (taking a half hour of so to finally die)

Blessings,
Cindi....

Cindi said...

To Mystic Dreamer:
Thanks for the comments. I visited your blog...and the link to the Deviant Art site. Is that your artwork displayed there? Wow...it it great stuff.

Also..I am originally from your neck of the woods. Born and partially raised in Ellwood City, PA..which is about an hour from Pittsburgh. My mom still lives there.

My 17 year old daughter, Beth, is very interested in art and photography. At times she talks about going to art school. We have had some tumultuous times with her in the past few years...and continuing even now to a lesser degree.

Again..thanks for stopping by...for commenting and for the link to my blog on your profile. Please don't be shy about piping up with any comments you have..whether you agree or disagree of have something to add. The comments I receive make me feel as if I am talking to more than just myself here :)

Cindi....

Anonymous said...

Thanks for checking out my art!

That's cool, I don't know if I've ever been to Ellwood City.

Yeah, I'll definitely comment :) I know what it's like to have a lack of comments, haha...oh well, at least blogging is a good way to get things off my chest.

~Mystic Dreamer

Cindi said...

Mystic Dreamer said:
That's cool, I don't know if I've ever been to Ellwood City.

Yeah, I'll definitely comment :) I know what it's like to have a lack of comments, haha...oh well, at least blogging is a good way to get things off my chest.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ellwood City is near New Castle and Beaver Falls. If you drove through it and happened to blink...uh-oh...too late!!! It is a depressed little town...like many of the other depressed little towns in that area that bit the big one when the steel mills moved out and reorganized.

I thought your art work was great!!! I am going to show Beth since she is into art and photography. Her stuff is kind of dark compared to yours though.

We took her to the Carnaige (sp) Art Institute this summer. I loved it. I especially liked the graffiti exhibit. The special showing was "Life on Mars". Some of its ahhhhh artistic talent escaped me. Actually, some of it looked like stuff the kids brought to me when they were about four and I mustered up my most convincing, "Oh, that is really good honey." then stuck it on my refrigerator.

Another thing I thought was really interesting was the cardboard "house" "pod" like thing. Have you seen it?

We also hit the Mattress Factory. It struck me sort of like the Life on Mars exhibit.

I guess what is art is what is art in the eye of the beholder, huh?

Blessings to you.....

Cindi......

Anonymous said...

I'm sure I've driven by there in these past 20 years at some point.

Thanks again :) its nice getting comments about my art.

I went to the Carnegie Museum fairly recently, although I didn't get to see Life on Mars. I did see the cardboard exhibit, though...a lot of deep meaning in there.

I've also been to the Mattress Factory...great stuff.

~Mystic Dreamer