Monday, July 20, 2009

More.....later.....

This will be an on the run post because (omg SURPRISE) I am running late again.  Somehow, even though I have been on the computer a lot of the weekend "researching," today's post is not ready to go....

So my special thanks to Greg Boyd...whose words make up a large portion of this post.  In the following snippets, he talks about three books/writings that he thinks help us dwell "in the now" but that do not veer into what he sees as grave errors and do not depart from what he considers to be sound biblical teachings.  I've read all or parts of the books he mentions and will provide links to what is available online...later....

So now...here is Pastor Boyd...

Greg Boyd goes on to say that:

This fundamental difference is clearly manifested in the way Tolle teaches people to “stay awake” and “live in the now,” in contrast to the way Christians such as Brother Lawrence (The Practice of the Presence of God) and Frank Laubach have helped people “stay awake.” Tolle encourages people to cultivate an on-going awareness of their essential oneness with life. The goal is to transcend the ego and lose any distinct awareness of yourself. By contrast, Brother Lawrence and Frank Laubach encourage people to cultivate an on-going awareness of the presence of God and to surrender to this presence on a moment-by-moment basis. Tolle aims at experiencing one’s own divine “I AM” on a moment-by-moment basis. Brother Lawrence and Frank Laubach aim at experiencing a loving relationship with the I AM on a moment-by-moment basis.

Better yet, if you’re interesting in a Christ-centered way of learning how to live “in the present moment” — and we all should be — forget about Tolle and read Brother Lawrence and Frank Laubach’s Practicing His Presence and/or J. De Caussade’s The Sacrament of the Present Moment. Yes, live in the now! But do it in loving relationship with God rather than by believing you are God while trying to convince yourself you have transcended the confinement of beliefs in the process.

And remember....

God's name is I AM...not I Was or I'll See You Later. 

I will have to look up the source for that quote because I did not think of it myself :) 

 

No comments: