Saturday, August 15, 2009

If Thine Eye Be Single....

So I was curious if there was any reference to the third eye in scripture....
I found the following in my web journeys this morning.

Third eye, the gate that leads within
The third eye is universal. In the Indian tradition it is jnana-chaksu, the eye of knowledge, the seat of the antar-guru, or 'teacher inside'. In Buddhist art, it is figured as a gem on the forehead of buddhas. And in the words of the Gospels,
The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light. (Matthew 6:22)
The third eye, in essence, is the portal to inner realms. The Upanishads describe a human being as a city with ten gates. Nine gates (eyes, nostrils, ears, mouth, urethra, anus) lead to the outside world. The tenth gate, the third eye, opens onto inner worlds: the whole spectrum of levels of consciousness.

I looked up the work "eye" in the original language.  It is the word ophthalmos.  In the King James version, it is translated 101 times as "eye" and once as "sight."  It's definition according to the Strong's is:

the eye
metaph. the eyes of the mind, the faculty of knowing

It comes from the root word optanomai which means

to look at, behold
to allow one's self to be seen, to appear 


Which is an alternate of horao which means

to see with the eyes
to see with the mind, to perceive, know
to see, i.e. become acquainted with by experience, to experience
to see, to look to
to take heed, beware
to care for, pay heed to
I was seen, showed myself, appeared


The post is not meant to be a vocabulary lesson in Greek, (like I could teach one) but I think the meaning of these three related words is very telling.  "The eyes of the mind," "the faculty of knowing," "to allow oneself to be seen," "I was seen, showed myself, appeared."  I think those definitions are ripe with spiritual implications to ponder for yourselves with no further comments from the peanut gallery.  :)
More on this topic....tomorrow.....

No comments: