Friday, November 21, 2008

Can A Christian Vote Democrat?

Before it's too late to keep rehashing the election I have a few sites and blog post drafts in the queue. I might be posting some of them this weekend.  I say might because you know how easily distracted I am...and chances are good that I just might find some other very important topic that piques my interest...

Debra posted an article on EU called  Could A Christian Vote Democratic by Keith Drury. He has a plethora of writing on the web. Just google him and see.  The article she posted comes from a site called Tuesday Column.  Overall, his writing and viewpoint are rather conservative.  He adheres to the holiness view of Christianity.  Some of the denominations that are mentioned on his "about me" page are ones that I am familiar with from my Free Methodist days with my grandparents.  Church of the Nazarene....Wesleyan Methodist.  The following snippet from his site.  He has been teaching at.....

 Indiana Wesleyan University since 1974 I joined the faculty in 1988 and for several years teaching youth and CE. After returning for six years to my denominational headquarters to lead Christian education I returned to IWU for my “final job in life” --teaching CE, leadership and other practical courses to 475 religion students who will become the next generation of pastors.

I like this guy.  He is a lot more conservative than me but in a love God and your neighbor with all your heart kind of way. Not the typical evangelical "let me shove what I believe down your throat" kind of way.  This guy voted for Obama.  Geeeez....I guess contrary to what you see and hear in varying degrees all over the place, you CAN be a Christian and vote Democrat.  Who would have guessed? 

Some of his points in this article are:

On which party is the "Christian party":

Actually I don’t believe there is a “Christian party” in my country. Neither of them satisfies me as far as “Biblical Christian Values” go. On one issue one party is closer, on another the other party is closer to Christ-like values as I see them and on many issues neither party is Christian.

On abortion:

I think abortion is like the environment—both the parties took the wrong side given their stated values.  Democrats should be the protectors of the weak—the fetus, and Republicans should be the protectors of individual rights and the strong rich interests of the medical cartel, given their tradition. If I was a one-issue voter and abortion was the only issue I’d vote Republican.

While not exactly pro-choice...he is resigned to the fact that Roe vs Wade, if overturned would give the decision to the states, which likely would continue to allow for legal abortions.  It is a heart change that he sees as the answer....

We are in a major effort to persuade the rest of the nation that human rights need to be extended to life that is not recognized as life. I want to spend my energy on this cause—and on that we are winning.

On prayer in school:

Even though I am a devout Christian I do not believe the government should write school prayers—students should say their own prayers.  Republican pandering on the school prayer issue is embarrassing. I wouldn’t trust government-written prayers and believe “civil religion” is idolatry.

One of my cyber buddies...Dena....wrote in a recent post that she now sees pro-life as more than just anti-abortion.  Drury states something similar in this post....

I believe that God wants capital punishment banished from the earth so that neither individuals nor governments kill people, including unborn people and evil people alike. 

On education he says:

I think we need massive initiatives in education because the Bible calls us to bring up the next generation. I’d even be satisfied if we’d put 10% of the money we’ve been squandering in Iraq, pretending to fight terrorism into grants for college students. And, another 10% into public elementary and secondary education. Where’d we get the idea that a Christian should be for low taxes and against education? I don’t see that anywhere in the Bible.

So anyway...before I quote this guy's whole post verbatim, I will list some of the other topics he mentions and why he leans to the left when he votes based on these issues. 

        • Immigration
        • Emissions Standards
        • OSHA Rules
        • Higher taxation of large corporations
        • Higher taxes on cigarettes and alcohol
        • Nationalist military spending
        • Gun control
        • Minimum wage
        • Care of the poor
        • Health care
        • Etc. etc. etc. 

I find myself agreeing with a lot of his views.  Some related writings on his site.....

What will your church do with evangelical Obama-voters?

I'm a Liberal.... and I admit it

Did God make Ray Boltz gay?

Interesting writing...sort of from an evangelical kind of viewpoint...but infinitely more enlightened than many...the genius behind the following sign included.  I found the pic via a link on EU...from the Transformations Blog.  You can read more about it there or at the other sites on this google list more than happy to tell you all about it.  I bet God is so proud of this sign ...especially at a church that bills itself as a "Church Without Walls."  Exactly what does that mean anyway? 

Muslim President

No comments: