Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Max Lucado on the 2008 Election...

While searching around a bit for different perspectives on the election and the different parties,I came upon the following about this year's election by Max Lucado.  Gotta' love Max... 

“I’m genuinely hopeful about the next few years in the US. Our democracy has given the citizenry the right to select a leader and we have. Now is the time for us to pray for President-elect Obama and the next administration. I, along with a group of religious leaders, met with Senator Obama last June. We discussed a wide-range of faith-related issues. He expressed his belief in God, trust in Jesus and need for a Savior. I left the meeting with the feeling that I had met a man of genuine convictions. I hope you will join me as we pray for his wisdom, discernment and safety.

I also offer prayers of gratitude for President Bush. He has weathered one of the most difficult eras in American history. His personal conduct has been exemplary and devotion, inspirational. He has kept his pledge to keep America free from attack and the Oval Office free from scandal. For that we can be grateful.”

Max Lucado,
November 11, 2008

In the last election...the one the Republicans won, Max gave his views in an interview for Beliefnet called Red State Values/Blue State Values.  Some notable excerpts from the article:

Is there a way that religious leaders like you can help heal the rift?

I think so. I certainly have a responsibility in my church. You know, I can't pastor the whole world but in our church, the Sunday after the election, we all got on our knees and we asked God to heal the country.

Really.

We all got on our knees. And we're not a kneeling church. We don't even have kneelers-I wish we did--but I said, This is such a big deal. And I said, We're not Democrats or Republicans in here. We believe nations exist to serve God; God doesn't exist to serve the nation but we serve him. Let's ask for him to take over now. And I think that's the role of the clergy.

About the Democrats, he said:

Traditionally, they've had a deeper concern for the poor, for the forgotten among us--greater equality among the cultures, especially for immigrants. They've been more concerned over men's and women's equality; I think that's still something that needs to be addressed. The Democrats have traditionally really helped our nation in the area of racism; I mean where would we be if not for the civil rights movements of the 1960s and 70s? Jimmy Carter was one of the best presidents America's ever had; there's a man who entered the office in faith and, like George Bush, was criticized for making decisions on his knees. I can remember reading an article like that in 1979; he said he made a decision on his knees. Well, now Bush gets the criticism.

I know this beliefnet excerpt is from four years ago..but the same sentiment and humble spirit is expressed in both writings.  I am thinking Max is probably a conservative...and there are things he believes that I do not agree with, but what a balanced view...what a unifying spirit....

I love Max....

No comments: