Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Did Jesus Talk About Pre-existence?

While reading through the gospel of John, the gospel that leans more toward the mystery of Christ than the history of Christ, I came upon two verses that, when pondered deeply, may mean more than meets the eye. They both struck me as verses hinting of pre-existence, even before the conversations geared up about such things on EU.

In John 15:26-27 Jesus is talking to his disciples and says:

"When the Counselor comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father, he will testify about me. And you also must testify, for you have been with me from the beginning.

At face value, that seems to mean from the beginning of Jesus' ministry.  But couldn't it also mean from the beginning...the origin..in God, in the spiritual realm...in "eternity"?  Keith said something about that a while back.  I rediscovered it while scanning some of the files I've saved on my computer about pre-existence:

If someone wants to contend for the belief that eternity means unending time, then my support for pre-existence would be that which is eternal is eternal then in both directions of time. It would have no beginning and no ending. Something that has a beginning MUST have an ending. Which is why God always was, and so must we, having come from Him.

Among the Strong's definitions for the word "beginning" are the following:

beginning, origin/that by which anything begins to be/ the origin, the active cause/the first place, principality, rule, magistracy

Nothing there really disproves a more awe inspiring definition of the "beginning" (as in "before the foundations of the world").

Another verse that struck me is found in another conversation between Jesus and his disciples.  In John 14 Jesus says:

1"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. 2In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4You know the way to the place where I am going."

Did you catch that? 

You know the way to the place where I am going."

Did they know the way because...perhaps...they had been there before?  Had they already traveled that path to "where Jesus was going"? 

If that is what Jesus meant, they weren't getting it

Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?"

So the question is, did they really not know or did they know but couldn't remember? (because they drank from the river of Unmindfulness...on the Plain of Forgetfulness?)

And later, in the chapter, when Jesus assures them:

But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

The King James translates it as:

he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance

So the next question is...things from their earthly time together...or from before that...in the spiritual realm?  This is not an original thought birthed in my own head (although the possibility of an alternate meaning of first verse I mentioned did occur to me,myself and I).  I've heard Willie Hinn talk about the remembrance thing...and Keith, too...probably Preston Eby....perhaps Ray Prinzing.  But it is an intriguing thought, no?

And tomorrow...another intriguing thought....

No comments: