Friday, February 27, 2009

A Peacemaker?

Me a Peacemaker? Ahhh…not likely, in spite of the fact that I’ve written a lot about what peace might look like in our day to day lives, I don’t have it down…AT ALL. I am getting better at being nonreactive (meltdowns are few and far between) and accepting the “IS”ness of situations and personalities and events. I’ve been exposed to a lot of different venues that basically teach that same message. Acceptance of what is. But do I emanate a sense of peace? Ah…probably not. But along with my hope to someday see the Christ in everyone and everything (including myself), I want to sow seeds of peace and not seeds of discord.

Since I’ve plugged Gary Sigler’s website in a few posts lately, let me mention his message board, Heart 2 Heart. A core group of posters keep the discussions there going. I read there more than anything, but I do occasionally post my two cents worth. Gary recently posted a writing of his called A Peacemaker. Some snippets from the article….

“For He is our peace who has made both one and has broken down the middle wall of partition between us, having abolished in His flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances, for to make in Himself of two one new man, so making peace” (Eph. 2:14-15).

This is God’s goal: to break down every barrier between husband and wife, brother and sister, people on the job, everyone you meet, and bring you into fellowship and true spiritual oneness. The biggest walls are self-centeredness, self-preservation, and natural feelings. When the Holy Spirit breaks down all those walls in your life and forms the character of God in you, then you will bring peace everywhere you go.

And they are big walls indeed…and he acknowledges that the role of peacemaker is not for everyone…only those willing to be conformed to the image and likeness of Christ. Eventually we all will be, yet some of us may go kicking and screaming as he convinces us to will and to do of His good pleasure. To be a peacemaker we have to give up our right to be right, to not react in the natural…and to learn to bite out tongues, to not be offended, touchy or resentful. Hmmmm....let me think this over for a while and I'll get back to you :)

peace-1

2 comments:

Sue said...

Haha! You're gorgeous.

I know I don't comment on EU very often at all. I'm not sure why that is when there are such awesome people there, like you, and Annie, and such.

Thank you Cindi for sharing this today. It really heartened me. That verse from Ephesians just impaled itself in my heart, somehow.

A peacemaker? No, not me yet either. I still react in some areas - with men, for example. I hate it. But bcause of Him, I can sit with it and learn to love that part of myself too. What he did ... wow. I love this time of year, Easter. Life hidden in death. Absolutely amazing :)

Cindi said...

Hi, Sue...
Nice to hear from you!! Deb(from lifestream) and Dena (also from lifestream..and now with a list of her own called Sacred Cow Tippers) are still there and about 35 or so others. Conversations are still going strong, although once in a while there is a lull. We would love to have your comments again..but I know life is busy. So many lists...so little time!!

I do appreciate your comments here though. Thanks. Take care...have a great weekend!!

Cindi...