Monday, February 23, 2009

Sounds like an ego problem to me.....

I took note of how Paul described himself in Galatians 1. 

13 For you have heard of my former manner of life in Judaism, how I used to persecute the church of God beyond * measure and tried to destroy it; 14 and I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my contemporaries among my countrymen, being more extremely zealous for my ancestral traditions

More extremely zealous for my ancestral traditions?  What does Tolle say about the ego encompassing more than just individual "delusions" and can include an identification with ethnic, national, religious groups....and that one of the tricks of the ego  (carnal man/flesh/adamic man) is to tie our identity up in one (or in the case of Paul ALL) of those factors. 

Doesn't Paul say he was the chief of sinners....sin as in missing the mark??  The mark of who he really was perhaps?  But alas....in Galatians 1 Paul goes on to say that:

God was pleased  to reveal His Son IN me so that I might preach Him among the Gentiles.

I like that...to reveal His Son IN as in already there.  The text declares that God had set him apart.."even from his mother's womb" or as the rather wordy Amplified version renders it....

15 But when He, Who had chosen and set me apart [even] before I was born and had called me by His grace (His undeserved favor and blessing), saw fit and was pleased F1 16 To reveal (unveil, disclose) His Son within me so that I might proclaim Him among the Gentiles (the non-Jewish world) as the glad tidings (Gospel)

No comments: