Saturday, February 28, 2009

Speaking of a Peacemaker....

Dena posted the following story about Paul Young, the author of The Shack, on one of the lists she and I are both members of. I think it perfectly exemplifies the spirit Gary talked about in his article “A Peacekeeper.” And for anyone who read The Shack, the quote will make sense. For anyone who hasn’t read The Shack…you should.

Reminds me of what happened to Paul Young ... about a year ago, in Portland (his hometown, where a prophet is not welcome), he was being interviewed on radio (can't remember whether it was a Christian station or not). A woman called in, and blasted him in no uncertain terms, for being a heretic, a universalist, a new-ager, a false teacher, wolf in sheep's clothing ... all the typical names that are used in fear. After she was finished with her rant, she hung up (a drive-by sliming, LOL!). The host, obviously shocked at the venom,turned to Paul and said, "wow, you've been hit by a heresy-hunter!"
Paul just smiled, and said, "Papa's especially fond of her, too."

2 comments:

Sue said...

He's such a lovely man, he just SEES. He lets those things flow off him like the proverbial water.

I'm not there yet. I want to be. I can see it up ahead. Somehow this is what loving God does, and the knowledge of that love enables us to Zenlike let it all go and not take offence. I am inspired at the people way up ahead who can do so :)

Cindi said...

No I'm not there yet either..
I guess he just really understands the "forgive them for they know not what they do" sentiment of Jesus'

Cindi...