Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Artwork of the Last Supper (and other basically unrelated web travels and life tales....)

"But I digress" would be a good title for this post.  First of all, in the original post, the introduction strayed from the main topic, meandereing here and there before getting to the point.  In other words, making "a short story long."  

And now I am going to further digress by mentioning that we are in downtown San Antonio..at a Red Roof Inn.  We spent the day here yesterday (first time for me) checking out the Alamo, the Riverwalk (wow...that is so nice) and taking the trolleys here and there to get an overview of the city.  Besides that...everyone was so friendly.  Several times, when we were looking a bit disoriented, the "guides" who wander around downtown offered their help without us even asking.  Several times, passersby overheard our conversations and extended their knowledge of the city.  So friendly!! I was impressed!! 

Today we are hoping to meet up with several people we know from our online life.  And so....since Keith wants to get on with the day, I am going to post something I have in the queue...having nothing to do with the Christmind etc. which is what I have been pondering and musing about lately....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It started out by reading a post from one of the lists about babies in hell…and the utter delight of the saints (the ones who make it to “heaven”) at the plight (and sight) of those who did not make it being tormented in hell. This includes relatives…mother, father, children. After all they deserve it….

I specifically remembered a quote by John Calvin that went something like…there will be babies a span long in hell….and another about the bliss of the saints as they watch the torture of the damned. So I googled it…and the first link took me to a well known, oft visited site called Religious Tolerance. (Great site) and I started clicking around a bit…ending up at the list of reader’s essays. One caught my eye….an essay written about a site dedicated to artwork and writings depicting a gay Jesus. I include the link…but be forwarned..there are some graphic images and links to sites with even more graphic images....some depicting Jesus in ways that kind of make me uncomfortable. 

Some of the links led to sites similar to the gay Jesus theme…some focused more on lesbians….one site had artwork of a black Jesus…and holy family and other related paintings which broadened my horizons concerning how Jesus might have looked. Very interesting site…worth a visit. But there were two sites that stood out.

The first site, which I intend to write about in my next post, was a medical anthropologist's scientific re-creation of the face of Christ. I vaguely remember this being in the news a while back, but I didn’t pay much attention to it. More about that…and my thoughts about it…in a yet to come (hopefully tomorrow) post.

The second site that captured my attention (in a good way…not in a squeamish kind of “that borders on blasphemy” way) had a picture of the Last Supper…painted from an historical perspective. How it would have really been at the last supper…with women and children there. Does is say anywhere is scripture that there were not women and children there? Scripture focuses on the disciples, of course, but perhaps the women and children were simply not mentioned? I don’t know…but something to ponder. The painting is by Bohdan Piasecki

 

clip_image002

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And I came across some other really interesting artist depictions of the Last Supper….

 

clip_image003

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

By El Greco

 

clip_image005

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

By Anthony Falbo

 

clip_image007

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

From the Rolin Kocsis studio

 

clip_image002[11]

 

I don't have the artist's name for this one.  Anybody know?

These pictures enlarge my thoughts about the Last Supper...

No comments: