Monday, March 16, 2009

You Can't See the Bruises....

I am going to wrap up the series of posts I started last week (?) on words that edify and words that don't....perhaps picking it up at a later date.  I had pondered on delving into it a bit more, but for now I think I will focus my (somewhat flighty) attention on other topics...such as musing about the Christ within and how to find him.

At the opposite end of the spectrum of words that affirm are the words that tear down. I’ve been hit with that club a few times and I'm pretty sure I’ve hit with that club a few times. And there is no doubt about it….words can hurt just as much as a fist. No bruises you say?

A few years ago, I picked up a well worn copy of The Toxic Parent at a used book store. One of the chapters was titled “The Bruises Are On The Inside.” Ahhhh, yes….I’ve had a few of those on the inside bruises. I am pretty sure that, even though I am not a toxic parent, I have left a few of those invisible to the eye bruises on my kids. In the heat of the moment…ticked off by something they said or did….either on purpose or unawares. I wish I could always behave like Olivia Walton… but that is not happening anytime soon…..

Just ask my kids :) 

No comments: