Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Mimesis in Ephesians

As I mentioned in my last post, I have been doing most of my reading lately at the gym…and I’ve read through Galatian, Ephesians and Philippians…and read through them again. As I read scripture, I now take note of the themes of the christ within, the egoic mind/carnal man and one of the slyest tricks of the ego…mimesis and it’s black sheep twin…mimetic rivalry.

When I came upon Rene Girard a year or so ago…and his theory of mimetic rivalry and scapegoating, it shed so much light on the Bible, the crucifixion, the atonement, the nature of conflict and sacrifice. However, I know that Girard’s theory is not the whole enchilada. It is only a facet of our cunning egoic nature and an example of its determination to set clear cut boundaries between who is the “other” and who is “me.” The ego has to have another in order to strengthen itself. It prefers an other who is also an enemy.

Girard claims that we are mimetic creatures and that born within us is the inescapable tendency to imitate others. Jesus knew this (and this was, in fact, one of the reasons he came to dwell among us). Paul knew this and addresses mimesis in many of his writings. In Ephesians, the following verses stood out as Paul’s acknowledgement of the mimetic process and our need to imitate.

Ephesians 1:15 It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. 16 The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17 The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains.

The ESV even uses the world rivalry….and points out the ulterior motives of others who are preaching the gospel.

2:3 Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. 4 Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. 5 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus,

And the admonishment to be aware of our motivations…to do nothing from rivalry (there’s that word again) and to have the mind of Christ.

3: 17 Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us. 18 For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ.

And the solution? (at least until deliverance comes in the form of a heart change…regeneration) imitate Paul and those who walk according the example he sets. If you have this inborn predisposition to imitate….well, then imitate Christ….make Christ your model.

No comments: