Monday, December 8, 2008

Girardian Widgets....

Note - 3/15/10 The links in this post are "broken." I've googled the articles and can't find them on the internet. I am leaving the post however because of the quotes I took from one of the articles. I guess that is the nature of blogging. People "up and move" on you...taking their stuff with them. *****

Yesterday I mentioned Phillip Hunt's site. Following are a few of his writings that pertain to mimesis/mimetic rivalry. Did I mention he lives in Australia? That explains the focus on topics like...oh, a cricket match or how Girardian theory applies to the founding of Australia. Following is a list of some of his writings....

Why Cricket's Stumped

Applying the Girardian Hypothesis to crowd misbehaviour at One Day Cricket Matches. Written for 'The Age' in January 2002

Zadok: Violence & The Scapegoat

A summary of the Girardian hypothesis, commissioned by Zadok magazine after I spoke along these lines at the Prophet's Pulpit in Fitzroy, Melbourne. Written in October 2001. This is the longer, unedited version which I think is a bit easier to follow.

Borrowed Desire and Blame In The Office

Applying the Girardian hypothesis to blame in the office. Written in October 2001 for the Spirituality, Leadership and Management Conference.

Cultural Blindness

Applying the Girardian hypothesis to our responses to the September 11 events. Written in September 2001

We Can't We Leave Our Racism At The Door?

Applying the Girardian hypothesis to Australia's treatment of asylum seekers and the issue of racism. Written in August 2001

Israel & Palestine

Applying trhe Girardian hypothesis to the Middle East tensions, and proposing the way of revolutionary forgiveness and peace making as a way forward. Written in August 2001

Something Strange About Refugees

Applying the Girardian hypothesis to the scapegoating of refugees in Australia. Written in July 2001

The Scapegoater's Fate

Applying the Girardian Hypothesis to Milosevic and the Balkans conflict. Written for 'The Age' in July 2001

Myth and the Media

Applying the Girardian hypothesis to media reporting of international events, spin doctors and myth. Written in June 2001 for the MEDIAting Globalisation conference

The Meaning of Football

Applying the Girardian hypothesis to Australian Rules Football and its machinations. Written for 'The Age' in May 2001

Which Day Makes Australia Truly Great?

Applying the Girardian hypothesis to the founding of Australia. Published in 'The Age' in May 2001

The Myth of Violence

Applying the Girardian hypothesis to "religious" murders in Indonesia. Published in 'The Age' in Jan 2001

I gleaned a lot of insights from the article about mimesis in the office. How about this snippet of insight:

The ultimate office tool for scapegoating is blame. This is also an ancient ritual. God discovers a missing apple and asks Adam. Adam blames Eve. Eve blames the Serpent.

Following is a paragraph that I thought captured the gist of mimetic rivalry brilliantly...

If I have a nice shiny and unique widget and my desire for it awakes a similar desire in you, we have a problem. Two desires. One widget. In fact, of course, you have the bigger problem than me, since I have the widget and you don't. I am flattered by your desire for my widget, and indeed it increases my own desire for it, since I borrow some of your desire. But I am also going to be more protective of my widget now, because your desire for it has increased my desire to keep it. But what if your desire is very strong. Soon there is going to be a fight.

No comments: