Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Speaking of the Christ Within....

In yesterday's post, I mentioned the somewhat new agey podcast I happened upon at the MSIA web site--The Christ Within.  It spoke of the indwelling Christ in terms that might offend the more traditional Christian. I think hearing terms like "christ consciousness" is a red flag alert for many Christians.  I am fine with whatever words that are used to express this.  Both Preston Eby and Gary Sigler describe it as the Seed....the Christ.  ...the character of God in you.  Because I have a beginners grasp of the concept...I don't concern myself too much with the exact word used for it because I know whom I have believed.

Later, in my inbox, I found an email from The Greater Emmanuel Fellowship in Hamilton, Ontario.  We went to a very small, very intimate gathering they organized at the YWCA in Hamilton a few years ago. We spent two afternoons listening to the teachings of John Gavazonni.  He is a regular contributor at the the Greater Emmanuel site.  His latest series is entitled "He Never Left."  It, too, explores the concept of the Christ within.  John G expresses it by saying:

The Anointed One has been mostly concealed within the Adamic race since its beginning. He has always been present with us, in us, as the essence of what we truly are.

In Part 5 after describing the landscaping and wildlife in his lovely back yard he says:

I was enjoying that scenic blessing with more attentiveness than usual, taking it all in when I heard the whisper of the Spirit say,"You know, all that you're seeing out there is really in you."

He concludes that thought by saying:

The fullness of the Godhead is bodily within Christ, and He is within us, and all creation is within Him, so all creation is within us!

That seems to lean a bit toward the new age end of the scale but John G could not be described as new age. 

A couple more interesting excerpts:

Humanity began as/in one man, Adam, and though reproduced as many individuals, without losing that individuality, consummates itself as One New Man, the man who was stripped of death's oldness by death, to arise in newness of life as the life of the many who are One. This singular humanity "is Christ," the Christ IN WHOM ALL THINGS EXIST.

The Christ in you...the hope of glory.  One of the great mysteries of the gospel. 

No comments: