Thursday, December 18, 2008

This Was My Lesson This Day....

Every now and then, I visit the Heart to Heart Message Board at Gary Sigler's site.  Yesterday there was a snippet of a post that stuck with me.  I found myself thinking about it several times throughout the day.  The post said, in part:

tell me child, what did you learn today from your heavenly Father's teaching in the wee small voice.....??????
<><><><><><><>
what a great idea...
i saw this written and knew; this was my lesson this day.....

What struck me was the "this was my lesson this day...."

Sometimes when something is worded just a certain way, it grabs your attention.  Like quotes.  I've always been drawn to quotes because of the succinct way they encapsulate so many human emotions and situations and beliefs.  They bring a certain clarity to so many topics.   I have a notebook from 30 years ago where I've handwritten quotes that appealed to me.  I remember one really awkward, chunky book from the library that had all kinds of quotes...for all occasions, seasons and topics.  I didn't have the internet then (nor did anybody)...or google...or the hundreds (thousands?) of quote sites available on the world wide web.  Now, quotes about any topic I can think up are literally at my fingertips via the keyboard.  And copy and paste is so much less tedious than handwritten.

This might be a big "no brainer" for many people...but as I read the snippet it simply clarified that each day includes a lesson to be learned.  At least one...and possibly many.  And we simply need to look for the lesson.  At least one...every day.  Be it hum drum and mundane...or potentially life changing, there is a lesson to be learned each and every day.  Still, at 52 I am learning new lessons...some mundane lessons....that I probably should have learned years and years ago.

When I was trimming the Christmas tree the other day, it occurred to me that if I put the crystal icicles on the tree before the balls and keepsake trimmings (but after the lights and garland) it might be easier to get them spaced evenly.  The spacing of the icicles has bothered me for many Christmases.  After all these years and all those Christmas trees it finally dawned on me.

Duh. 

When my kids were younger, I would often ask them about their day...what is the best thing that happened to you today?  What is the worst thing that happened to you today?  I should have asked them about their lesson for the day...and helped them figure it out...whether the lesson had been something profound or mundane.  Perhaps I can still ask them...although I have a feeling they might roll their eyes at me at this point in the game.  But I fully intend to ask myself, as the day draws to a close....what was my lesson this day?  I am sure the answer might surprise me. 

No comments: