Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A Season for Nonviolence

This morning I found an email from UnityFM in my inbox.  From there, and again...don't ask me to remember my cyber path...I ended up at this great site called "Association for New Global Thought".  It is a peace site.  They sponsor something called A Season for Nonviolence...complete with lots of info, articles, resources...and a free CD for organizations, groups and individuals who want to get more involved in the initiative.  This appears to be the third year. 

A Season for Nonviolence, January 30 - April 4, is a national 64-day educational, media, and grassroots campaign dedicated to demonstrating that nonviolence is a powerful way to heal, transform, and empower our lives and our communities. Inspired by the 50th and 30th memorial anniversaries of Mahatma Gandhi and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., this international event honors their vision for an empowered, nonviolent world.

Included in the resources is a list called 64 Ways in 64 Days

Some of the suggestions are:

Today, I will turn off anything that portrays or supports violence whether on television, in the movies, or on the Internet.

Today, I will take time to appreciate the people who provide me with challenges in my life, especially those who make me angry or frustrated.

Today, I will listen without defending and speak without judgment.

There is another list of Public Service Announcements.  There are 64...one for each day of the "Season of Nonviolence.  Following are a few. 

We learn to practice nonviolence one step at a time, one choice at a time, one day at a time. This is how each of us, in our own way, move the world in the direction of peace. This is the Season for Nonviolence. This message is brought to you by The Association for Global New Thought.

The thought for today is MINDFULNESS. If we just act in each moment, with composure and mindfulness, each minute of our life is a work of art. Be aware of the motivation behind your action, the intention behind your words and the needs and experiences of other people. By doing so, you are making life more beautiful for others. This message is brought to you by The Association for Global New Thought.

and another:

The thought for today is COMPASSION. Mother Teresa implored us to “find someone who thinks he is alone and let him know that he is not.” Allow compassion to lead your life, your words and actions. This message is brought to you by The Association for Global New Thought  

And one more....

The thought for today is LOVE. Mahatma Gandhi wrote, “nonviolence is based on the assumption that human nature ... unfailingly responds to the advances of love."” Today focus on what you appreciate most about the person you like the least.

Oh that's a tough one...

Check out the site...lots of resources for "peacekeepers"

2 comments:

worldpar said...

I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars.
———–

If I am walking with two other men, each of them will serve as my teacher.
I will pick out the good points of the one and imitate them, and the bad points of the other and correct them in myself.

(Confucius)

More...

Cindi said...

lonnie...
Thank you for taking the time to comment. I must have missed it when it was more current (as in 3 months ago:) Great quotes...

Cindi...